"I have only two passions in life

…space exploration and hip hop."

As if landing on the moon and punching that guy who denied it in the face didn’t make Buzz Aldrin cool enough. What a guy. I have to applaud him for his passion and willingness to embrace new ways to try and get that passion across to people.

That’s Doc Rendezvous to you.

That is win. Aldrin has been working his arse off lately to help get space exploration back into the public consciousness again. He has been speaking his mind lately about wanting NASA to scrap Ares and that the agency really needs an overhaul (which I agree with.)

He should be our envoy to the stars. Nothing speaks more accurately of the human race than hip-hop and punching people in the face.

If he had two other passions, I hope they’d be kicking ass and chewing bubblegum.

That’s awesome. Forgetting going to the moon, NOW this guy is my hero.

Man, Snoop makes friends with the weirdest people, but in a really cool way. Martha Stewart, Buzz Aldrin…I dare say the man’s becoming the poster child for breaking socio-racial barriers.

Buzz Aldrin is amazing. Truly a hero.

Truth.

I had no idea Snoop, Quincy Jones,Talib Kweli, and Soulja Boy were such big fans of space exploration.

Today is the 40th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 11. Monday will be the 40th anniversary of the day humanity first set foot on the Moon.

Today, Buzz Aldrin says: “Mars or Bust.”

Bust it is. NASA just sucks. I was 5 years old when he set foot on the Moon. I feel like NASA (along with Congress over 40 years) destroyed several generations worth of hope for the future with their moronic and pointless programs.

Viz.

• Space shuttles that cost something like 100 times per launch what they are supposed to, and can’t do more than carrying a ton to LEO, which any old thruster from the 60s could have done all this time at a tiny fraction of the cost.

• No manned exploration in 35 years. The repeat visits to the Moon were just wastes of time and money with no real objective in mind, anyway, so it’s really nothing worthwhile done for 40 years.

• “Better, Cheaper, Faster.” Man, I really hate that guy. What a ludicrous slogan. Every engineer knows it’s “Better, Cheaper, Faster: Pick Any Two.”

• Imperial measurement. Really, NASA, what the fuck.

• $100 billion for the ISS, which does no science, and leads to no further activity in space, and in fact performs no useful function whatsoever except giving NASA something to claim they are doing. Deorbiting in 2016, mission accomplished.

You may say: What about the Hubble? What about various JPL probes?

OK, the Hubble was in fact a good thing. But for the cost of all those insane shuttle launches, they could just have been orbiting new Hubbles every few years instead of wasting zillions of dollars fixing it.

Several of those JPL probes were also effective scientific expeditions. But in effect our response to the Mars probes is something like Lewis & Clark coming back from the expedition and Congress deciding, OK, well that’s good, but it’s going to be too expensive to actually do much with the big scary west half of the continent. But we will send you guys back there in a few years to report if anything has changed.

I didn’t expect the Buzz Aldrin thread to intersect with the “How often do you cry?” thread, but here we are.

Yeah, well, I mostly stopped crying about it back in the 80s when I realized how messed up the shuttle program was, but every once in a while something will set me off again…

The Ares development debacle takes you from crying to drinking bathtub gin in an alley and muttering to yourself.

I totally didn’t mean my post as a comment on your post. Your post didn’t exist when I started typing mine. I was commenting on how reading Aldrin’s editorial affected me.

I’m totally down with “NASA sucks as it is today.”

In the end yes, Hubble is a good thing - the “just after launch” Hubble is a classic example of how retarded NASA is though.

In NASA’s defense on measurements, they use the latest ISO 9000 standards in order to be able to effectively work with other space agencies and universities world wide. The fuck up happened because Lock-Mart signed a contract saying it would use those standards and then didn’t.

Actually, I think they are continuing to use Imperial measurements even now for backwards compatibility with old shuttle component parts that they want to reuse for some stupid reason. I guess it’s cheaper to occasionally crash a probe into a planet than it is to go ahead and do some multiplication.

Funny thing is of course all the early NASA rockets were based on Von Braun’s designs, and I assume the Nazis were using the metric system in the design of the V2… so they had to do all the conversions the other way to begin with in any event.

No, JPL is 100% compliant with ISO 9000 as is NASA. Historical data is something they take into consideration when working engineering problems on existing satellites and shuttles but any communication has to be ISO 9000 compliant. They changed over in the early 90’s, just after JPL implemented TQM.

I’ve been a JPL employee since 1981 if that helps.