I ignore you, you ignore me, we're a happy family

Here is some fake news fruit.

Well this potentially explains a lot

I actually know lots of people on this forum. Go figure. I think I’ve even met you, haven’t I?

-Tom

You’ve never met me. If you had, you’d remember. I have a finite number of circumferences.

Now that we’re almost a week past the event, just quoting some stuff here for posterity…

Also if you haven’t read this talk, I strongly urge you to do so. Please read it. Read it very closely.

It’s a talk from the GDC so it’s even legitimately videogame related, unlike some other contributions I can think of lately…

I see where you might have drawn from a few ideas from this piece when you pitched your opinion/ideas on that specific case.

No Christmas cards to send
Daddy likes men.

I think maybe some of you guys kind of overreacted to that case.

A guy saying stuff that you disagree with… Even saying lots of stuff you disagree with, isn’t really the end of the world.

It’s kind of weird to see folks here trying to find a way to effectively silence someone.

You share part of the blame for those 300-post back-and-forth sessions. Whether I agreed with you or not, you would have been on the chopping block too (at least until the nonsense stopped) if Wumpus wasn’t so motherfucking terrified of people managing their own content feed like grown adults.

An ignore feature is not silencing anyone. Please.

Why does wumpus hate freedom?

I will not tolerate white supremacy. Read the article. I promise you the emotional labor was especially high with that particular case for those who are not white.

Funny, that’s not at all what I thought he was referring to. Interesting.

Yes because five people ignoring that extremely problematic dude would have totally solved the problem for the whole community, forever.

Ultimately, outside of some special cases — which I do acknowledge as valid —an ignore feature is kind of a selfish act, “I’m gonna get mine and solve this problem just for me, fuck everyone else.”

Except, far more often, the problem is just for me, but you’re suggesting it be “solved” for the entire community instead of offering a targetted and appropriate solution.

Just FYI I didn’t start working on this because I never got a strong affirmative. Work just picked back up and I probably won’t be able to get on it quickly anymore, but please let us know @wumpus if you’re going to implement an ignore feature eventually probably or if you’re still on the fence.

If I know you’re committed to it then when I’ve got more time again I’ll see about doing it myself and submitting a PR.

Can you please describe that, with (sanitized, obviously) examples? Just a personal beef between you and another dude, or what?

I read through your posts in this topic, just to be sure, and I didn’t see any examples.

It kind of is though, in practice.
What you end up getting is folks not just ignoring a poster, but trying to get everyone ELSE to ignore that poster too. You get comments like, “Why are you guys even talking to that guy?! Why don’t you ignore him?!” I mean, you get those posts now, even without an ignore feature.

It’s kind of why an ignore feature is generally useless anyway, as you can’t really purge someone from existence. You still end up seeing half of the conversations that they are involved in… more than half, since you see quoted text from them.

You don’t need to tolerate it.

Yes, as I’ve said like five times now, there are certain people that just rub me personally the wrong way and are otherwise as far as I can tell functional members of the community. Ignoring them is an easy way to avoid conflict and keep my blood pressure down.

I think you keep assuming that everyone participating in the thread was mad about that one dude in P&R that I have never encountered (and to be fair, most people were), but it’s a thread about an ignore function and that one dude is not why I want one.

For me it wasn’t just what he said, and some of it was foul, it was the way he said it. Nails on a chalkboard. Life’s too damn short for that bullshit.