I ignore you, you ignore me, we're a happy family

Really? So a few months later you’ll also be posting

Note that the above is something I wrote many months ago right after I had started muting this individual. I recently unmuted them and have since had no issues. Looking back on things I note that I went through an experience I didn’t realize was having such a negative impact on me, and it was likely that nothing about this user had changed, but I could no longer handle them due to changes in my own life.

No, probably not? Again, what the flying fuck does that have to do with anything?

Now you’re just being a bigger asshole than you usually are. Good work.

are the things I’ve been arguing this entire fucking time, in nearly the same words. But apparently you aren’t fucking reading my posts if you found this compelling and my identical fucking argument not.

Nah, I’m a troll with a purpose. Also, if nobody thinks you’re an asshole, you probably aren’t very interesting. Or accomplishing very much.

I think that’s you giving yourself the most charitable possible interpretation of what you wrote.

Anyway, I see you have nothing else to offer in this regard, so I will begin ignoring you in this topic… by scrolling past your posts and not reading them, a power so incomprehensibly awesome to you that you can’t even begin to understand it. 🧙‍♂️

@arrendek you mentioned that you basically only ignore people based on politics and religion, not everywhere? I’d like to hear from more people that actively use this, and can explain how and where and why they use it in more detail.

That is actually the definition of a troll. Thanks for the clarification.

Feel free to read the article I wrote about it. Or look me up on wikipedia 😉

https://blog.codinghorror.com/what-is-trolling/

Says the guy who hasn’t brought a single new, relevant argument in this entire thread and just dodges the fucking point every single fucking time it comes up, and now apparently can’t understand simple fucking text to the point where he regurgitates my own fucking argument to me as a shining beacon of what I am not.

But okay. Clearly you have nothing productive to offer, so, because you don’t offer a way to ignore you I will leave an otherwise useful conversation just to avoid seeing your bullshit. You know, because that’s a great way to promote worthwhile conversation and community.

Apparently someone on another Discourse forum has developed a ‘mute user’ feature.

Guess this was a lie, then.

@malkav11 how come no one is accusing him of employing the alt-right playbook?

You should read more closely @misguided

I find the argument “I had to ignore this guy because I have emotional problems in my life that prevent me from resisting an urge to respond, even when I should know better” much more compelling than “just fucking add ignore because I am a white dude who doesn’t like this other white dude”.

And if you can’t see the difference between those two arguments, well, learn to read… more closely 😉

Personally, I’m not a fan of the ignore feature. I find that people have a tendency to use it too quickly which keeps them from ever attaining common ground or learning anything. So, I have no problem with the lack of an ignore feature.

What I have a problem with is you acting like the decision is yours to make.

So, it is you who should read more closely, since I don’t particularly care what your argument is.

I’d be happy with an ignore feature that expired after that specific browsing session. It’s like hitting the - button to collapse a thread so you can move onto the next (on reddit for example).

Never heard of such a thing…but it seems like an interesting thought.

Alternatively you could just give your customers the option to use their software the way they prefer, rather than this power-tripping wannabe-Steve Jobs thing you’ve got going.

Literally none of our 1,000+ paid hosted customers are asking for this. Actually… literally.

The truth is that it’s kind of a tiny niche feature to need, and by that I mean a very small percentage of users ever run into a situation where ignore would address the problem they’re having. The goal is zillions of Discourse-s, not One Giant Facebook for All.

This is the sort of feedback I’m looking for. Plus @arrendek noting that he needs it mostly for p&r.

Yes, that is, in fact, literally unbelievable.

Anyway, there’s a link upthread on how to implement a simple ‘mute user’ feature site-wide without having to further appeal to the software devs. Clearly some of us would appreciate such a feature be made available. It might be a reasonable thing to discuss, if Tom/the mods are willing.

We tend to build things that multiple paying customers ask for, particularly if we hear the request a lot.

As you can conclude, five years in, ignore is … not a request that we hear a lot. It is something I want to get to but I think the feature is considerably more nuanced than most people realize.

Then why not just say “it’s not a priority given that there’s so little demand for it” instead of being a dick to people who want the feature? I, personally, would use the feature if I weren’t an admin because it could make my participation in a community less stressful. As such, I can completely understand why other people want it. But if it’s something too few of your customers ask for, rather than attacking the fact that they want it, why not just cut to the “truth of it part”?

-Tom