I ignore you, you ignore me, we're a happy family

@wumpus

So, should I start working on this functionality in Discourse or are you planning on assigning some of your devs to take care of it? I don’t know how far I could get in how long but if it gets us this feature sooner then I’m on board.

sitting here in queens
eating refried beans
we’re all in the magazines
gulpin down thorazine

That song has been in my head all day.

I think I like the general concept of an ignore feature, despite it’s problematic aspects. However, the idea @wumpus had of a “timeout” button to ignore someone for a set time is a nice concept. If I’m getting annoyed by a poster, it’s more likely a flustered-at-the-moment thing and defaulting an ignore to maybe 24-48 hours but then with an option to set up a permanent ignore in one’s profile makes the most sense. It allows one to psychologically walk away from a side conversation while not destroying the ability to communicate long term.

But all it tells you is that someone doesn’t want to see your posts anymore. This is hurtful, but it is not actionable. There is no way to tell why, and therefore nothing to reconsider. You could I suppose attach a “I ignored you because” field to the ignore function but that would be absolutely rife for abuse and no guarantee of an honest or helpful critique whatsoever.

To me this seems separate from an automatic notification that someone has put you on ignore. I am all for attempting to try to communicate why someone is putting your back up if you think you can get that across without further inflaming things, but that’s something you do before resorting to ignore, not automatically as a result of ignore.

I don’t visit R&P much, but I was curious as to who you all are talking about, so I wandered over to the NK thread and read like the last hundred posts. It didn’t take long to figure it out.

The dude appears to exist solely to debate.
And he knows how to push buttons.

I think this is key. It doesn’t take a special forum feature to ignore someone. Just look at the name and/or avatar, and skip it. If no one is responding, he will eventually leave. Or possibly move to another subject where he might find some like-minded folk to have actual discussions with. But I think this is unlikely because, again, he appears to exist solely to debate. Which I would think would get old after a while, but he seems to be absolutely tireless.

It was a tiresome read for me, anyway.

I don’t spend much time in PR, what are we talking about?

Someone with unwelcome views showed up and he posts more than is polite gumming up threads with them. I think that’s the most neutral way to put it. He is fully aware he is not welcome in that community and has few , if any , fellow posters who are interested in his ideas, yet he remains.

Therin is the dilemma. Wumpus’s article and views have changed my mind. I am now against muting.

I am strongly in favour of banning anyone who deviates from my political views, yet this zeal is checked by my knowledge that can be a two way street and I wouldnt like it the other way around… so I pause against my instincts there.

Shaming has also gone as far as I would like, I have been outright rude to the man and I dont feel particularly good about that.

So what do you do? Just avert your eyes from posts which, to some of us, appear to be thinly veiled bigotry? Stop posting in that forum? Flag his posts for banning? Learn to accept an “alternate view”?

I genuinely don’t know. Shrug. But that’s whats going on.

I like the cocktail party analogy. Just because a user hasn’t done something illegal doesn’t mean you wouldn’t take him aside or ask him to leave.

All I know is there’s an entire subforum that I read and participate in daily that I don’t even like reading anymore. Nearly every thread in there has gone to shit.

Ah… oh… well, that sounds kind of like an awful situation. I only check out a handful of P&R posts and this person must not post in those. I did look at a random thread and … I believe I found what you guys are talking about.

I don’t have near enough facts to have an educated opinion. For the most part I enjoy the people that post here, even the ones that don’t agree with me on stuff (and a few have been rude for sure, but hey, we all have bad days, I’m sure I’ve been a dick from time to time myself, and if so, let me apologize here and now) so I never really felt the need to mute anyone, even on the old board. Well, very rarely, I’m sure I did at some point?

Maybe we could have a policy/rule that allows for the community to call a vote to ban someone that isn’t necessarily breaking the rules but is clearly upsetting folks or driving them away, in very rare cases? Like, you would have to have so many votes first. Sort of like a petition needing so many signatures before it gets to the presidents desk, or however that works?

This is the problem with ignore features. You assume everyone will use ignore, and on top of that, everyone will have perfect discipline to avoid responding in kind. It is Mutually Assured Destruction in practice, because all it takes is one nuke to launch in response … and bam, Global Thermonuclear War.

It is somehow fair for one poster to put that heavy of a burden on literally everyone, because… reasons? And let’s not forget the superfund cleanup site left behind for every other user to wade into, for the rest of time. Ignoring does nothing for that.

The value to me of long term posters like Kevin and the 4-6 others here complaining, is FAR greater than the value of this one rando who recently showed up and barely posts about anything except politics. (Go count posts on the profile if you don’t believe me.) The calculus is simple — what is this person really contributing on this gaming forum other than excruciating pain for others, pain for people that I trust, know, and for the most part… respect?

No, but it’s much easier, less stressful and more effective with said feature.

No, this is the problem with using ignore to solve a problem that can’t be solved with ignore. There are plenty of other problems that are perfectly suited to being solved with ignore.

I would like a targeted ignore feature that only blocks posts from @wumpus that contain really dumb reasons for not liking ignore features ;-)

All Qualcomm posts get repeated in triplicate.

I propose a “Russian Roulette” button that has a 50/50 chance of either liking a post, or ignoring the poster. No takebacks, of course.

No loot box proposal? I’m disappointed in you, dive.

Loot box? I’m not a monster, man.