I ignore you, you ignore me, we're a happy family

That thread was started recently, wasn’t it? We’ve spent considerable time talking about why he was elected in other places.

I mean, mind, he was elected because conservatives are bad people, but that wasn’t the specific reason for the new thread.

I have the feeling he just reads Armando’s posts, then his statements make more sense.

This.

I might be overstepping my bounds in mentioning this, but I have talked to the poster in question, he’s not using a sock puppet account, and it’s my feeling he’s mostly taking the high road during some mean-spirited exchanges. I disagree with his politics 100%, I think he’s used some clumsy and borderline offensive arguments regarding immigration, some of his responses are flimsy at best and disingenuous at worst, and he can come across as smug and patronizing. But if those things were bannable offenses, a lot of us would have our accounts closed. Me, for instance.

So there’s where that is. But suffice to say, we’re aware of it, I’ve talked about it with @telefrog, and we see no reason to ban anyone.

By the way, if we’re keeping a tally, I am in favor of an ignore feature, but opposed to any feature that notifies the ignoree he’s been ignored. Ignore features should be a unilateral tool and not a way to send a message. That’s what posts are for.

-Tom

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Amazing the power a little moderator intervention can have, isn’t it?

Very few posts about gaming (the primary focus of this site) as well as basically zero posts in the Movies and TV forums (the secondary focus of this site), hundreds of posts in P&R. When you join a non-politics focused forum just to post in the P&R section where you have the extreme minority opinion, you aren’t there to participate, you are there either to disrupt or perform.

Thank you for writing personally to him, Tom. It’s only been a day or two, but I think it helped a lot. His recent posts have been more moderate, I think.

If my counter-trolls aimed at him were not entertaining to some, then my apologies. I think I was acting like those bicyclists who block traffic in order to fight for bike lanes, which is naturally going to anger the people who just want to get to the fucking pharmacy for their dad’s meds.

If he returns to being all polite while arguing in poor or even sickening faith, though, then we will report him as requested.

No wonder I found myself fighting the urge to run you over with a car. 🤔

I chuckled!

Personally, I’m gonna miss the bunnies

Do you honestly think it’s reasonable to present your guess at someone else’s motives as though it were an undeniable, objective fact?

IMO peoples’ unwillingness to question their own assumptions about intent is the source of a huge amount of miscommunication, drama and emotion.

“Your attempt at condescension looks pretty weak.”

They were extremely entertaining to me and I would like to award you 62 internet points. Just 7 more and you get the user rank of Nice!

Aw. When I was writing them, I secretly hoped you were watching.

I laughed my ass off even if I didn’t support them 100%, maybe only 80%.

Hypothetically speaking, what is your guess? Why would someone venture to some gaming forum and only want to talk politics?

My guess: Troll or child/friend of a person already on this forum who has been quiet, but feels a counter view is needed and got said child/friend to volunteer (just to be clear, not a child in the < 18yr old sense - most likely a young adult child in the 25-35 range).

And veteran of this forum and child/friend routinely get together to pat each other on their backs.

He gets that extra 7 from me. And 57 more. Fine work, @Dave_Perkins.

Well thank you. And @RichVR. I noted that lots of people were responding to him with reason and politeness, but it seemed like that alone was not doing the trick.

You know, the term “conspiracy theory” gets thrown around pretty loosely on internet forums, especially when you enter the politics sections. But here you are with a literal conspiracy theory.

He Who Will Not Be Named has accomplished one thing. He’s gotten me to abandon P&R. Some of you may think that it’s a good thing. Fine for you. But I learned a lot reading what more intelligent people thought about various issues. That’s over for now. I’ll go back when we get an ignore function or he leaves for whatever reason.