I kinda (Heart) I (Heart) Huckabees

Aaaaand I just saw this movie too. It did make me laugh sometimes, but I still consider it an admirable failure. Justin Fletcher expressed my opinion best: “Good concept. Great cast. Entertaining, but ultimately shallow.” I guess it wouldn’t really be fitting for this chaotic little mess of a movie to come to a satisfying end, but still – I was squirming for the last half-hour, waiting for it to end. Gondry/Kaufman could have rocked the hell out of this idea (admittedly, I’m a G/K fanboy).

Gondry maybe, Kaufman, meh not really a fan. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind was great but I find all his other movies to be pretty blah. I like Huckabees quite a bit more than Adaptation or Being John Malcovitch for instance.

OK this is weird, because I JUST SAW this movie with my wife. Just happened to come up on Netflix and we watched it two nights ago.

COINCIDENCE!!! Who has those detectives’ phone numbers?

Personally I totally dug it. Tomlin and Hoffman were a riot, I loved the weird face squares flying through the air, and the movie just generally made me smile and/or laugh an awful lot. Big fun and quite life-affirming overall, actually.

Call me a simpleton, but what I got out of the movie is that philosophy is bullshit.

I think it is pretty funny, too.

How am I not myself?