I knew I hated fat people for a reason

They are eating this great country of ours to death!

Yeah well, they left out the part where the cost of a skinless chicken breast would be roughly 10 times what is now due to demand.

Okay, so I was a pretty hefty 265 pounds or so several years ago. Looking back at myself (I’m now around 205), I don’t know how I let myself get to that point. What amazes me is how some people can get up to 400 or 500 pounds and not WANT to change. When you pick up that Double Quarter Pounder with supersized fries and a gigantic coke, with a couple of cheeseburgers on the side – just because the other stuff couldn’t possibly be enough – don’t you say “hmmm… maybe I shouldn’t eat this”? They know what it’s doing to their bodies, they know it’s bad for them, they know they’re overweight… yet they just have to eat that burger. I have bad eating habits, no doubt. But after eating relatively healthy for a couple of years, I genuinely feel bad about myself if I eat fast food more than once or twice a week.

Anyway, rant aside… I’ve been over to Europe several times in the new job, and during the last couple of visits I’ve been talking to coworkers about how different the eating culture is over there. Portions are much, much smaller – even at fast food joints (well, even in Canada they’re smaller than in the US) – yet SOMEHOW you still leave the table satisfied. And after talking about it for awhile, I started to really pay attention to people there… and there are so few obese people around. Even the “fat people” are barely pushing 260 pounds or so. Only at the airport in Warsaw did I finally see someone who was obese… but lo and behold, her passport was American. As soon as I landed back in the States, I started seeing large (i.e. hefty) families walking around everywhere.

Is there any way for the country to turn things around?

Get knocked off the superpower spot, go through a few decades of dire economic harship, probably dissolve the union and fight a few civil wars amongst yourselves, watch the massive corporations either move out or tumble… Well, that sort of thing.

Is there any way for the country to turn things around?

Pretty sure we are now with the price of wheat, rice, etc.

In seriousness, what would turn it around is harder lives. People don’t have much else to do but eat and work in this country. To do anything else (re: fitness) means giving up some leisure activity that you’ve worked into your schedule already.

I’m as guilty as anyone of course.

I knew I was in the United States when my plane landed in Texas and all the policemen that I saw at the airport were 250-300lb guys in cowbow hats. It was quite a contrast to the athletic SAS guards with automatic weapons I had left in Heathrow.

As far as a hate for fat people go, I do have prejudices that I have to willfully override. I blame society.

Yep, it’s been getting worse in Canada now also. Portion sizes just keep getting bigger, though it’s still not as bad as the US. I honestly don’t get it. I usually don’t finish my meal at most restaurants and often have enough left over for a second meal. It’s not unusual for my girlfriend and I to share a meal and even then sometimes have leftovers. I would be happy with half the amount of food, why do I need a trough in front of me that isn’t healthy for ANYONE to finish. It’s mind boggling to me.

More Europeans smoke, and nicotine is a hunger suppressant. Remember, kids, cigarettes keep you skinny!

Which isn’t really a reason why American’s eat more… that’s pretty simple: It’s a sign of pride that we have big-ass portions, because we’re RICH! And for people who aren’t really rich, they can still get a lot of food for little money… well, it’s not good food; in fact, it’s horrible processed food. But I get it. When I was a kid, we didn’t have much money. That McDonald’s or occasional pizza on Friday nights was a big deal. And it was the only place my parents could afford to take us out to and get a full meal.

It’s mind boggling to me.

Arms race. The restaurant next door has larger portions so you have to.

I don’t think that’s true.

it’s because we have alot of poor people who can only afford junk foods.

When you are fat in US, usually mean you work long hours on a shitty job, doesn’t have time to cook or order healthy food, typically poor people. There are many studies out there that shows poor people tend to be fatter.

Fuck that, too large is turn off for me, I’d go somewhere with sensible sized meals first. Not to mention it cuts into the restaurants profits.

To me, the convenience of getting the aforementioned shitty processed food in the US (and Canada) is one of the biggest problems. It’s generally no more than a 3-minute drive to a place that will sell you cheap fatty processed food – and you don’t even have to get out of your car! Or hell, just pick up the phone and get food delivered. While delivery isn’t unheard-of in Europe, it’s mostly restricted to pizza from what I can tell, and I don’t think I’ve seen a drive-thru over there… though admittedly, my experience is limited to a few cities in Germany and Poland.

If your food is crappy the only thing you have to fight with is perceived better value, so bigger portions is often the route they go to.

Of course in some countries not everyone owns a car (no need to since public transportation isn’t terrible and things are closer together). In the US, I would guess that the average driving age is roughly 3 years younger than Europe and families own more vehicles. When you think that the square miles size of California is about roughly twice that of Italy, and on par with France or Germany, then it kinda puts some things in perspective. You can’t even get a job in many cities without owning a car since everything is so sprawled out.

Edit: Added Map: http://www.uta.fi/FAST/US2/REF/MAPS/images/calieuro.jpg

Fuck that, too large is turn off for me, I’d go somewhere with sensible sized meals first. Not to mention it cuts into the restaurants profits.

It’s not really a turn off for me but at the same time it’s certainly not a criteria that I consider when choosing a restaurant. “Yeah, but RestaurantX has huge portions!” No.

I think also all the Political Correctness around fat people is pretty stupid too. If you are fat or you have a fat kid, you should be expect to be laughed at in school or at work.

If I’m an employer, I hire the slimmer applicant over the fatter one.

I think Airline should start selling their tickets by the weight of the passengers, fatter people should pay more.

I think also all the Political Correctness around fat people is pretty stupid too. If you are fat or you have a fat kid, you should be expect to be laughed at in school or at work.

If I’m an employer, I hire the slimmer applicant over the fatter one.

Yay for discrimination! A fat person can’t possibly click the mouse as well as a skinny one.

A person who’s fit tend to be more energetic compare to an over-weight person. Someone without self-control vs someone with self-control.

I need disciplined energizers clicking my big mouses!

If you’re so fat that you fat-finger clicking the mouse buttons and accidentally do other things then I have little sympathy.

No, apparently I should hire a fat, sleepy person when I can hire a disciplined energizers.

this is why I hate the stupid Affirmative Action crap. It’s like I’m fucking sorry that I’m Asian, I have to score 200 points higher on my SAT compare to other minority in order to get into the same university.

stuff isn’t based on merits anymore, why should I hire someone who’s overall merit is less because he is fat.

You and your fuckin big mouse.