I love Aliens

Sigourney Weaver is 65 years old.

Holy crap she looks great.

She was also in Titanic as the Irish mom. That blew my mind as well.

Goldstein is also, IIRC, one of the task force cops who is killed by the South African mafia in response for the raid on the hillside house or whatever. In fact, I’m pretty sure she dies when she goes to jump off a diving board to do some swimming/cardio. Grand L. Bush died at the poker game, I think.

Goldstein never quite made it into “That guy!”(/gal) territory, because she didn’t work that regularly it seems (sliding mostly into TV rolls here and there), and it’s certainly possible she didn’t get to work more because ethnicity/the kinds of roles she wanted to do. She probably should have played Maria Conchita Alonso’s part in Predator 2 (with all due respect to Ms Alonso, who was fine in the part, but it just feels like a post Vasquez cop role to me). You know, I don’t think we talk about Predator 2 enough here.

Where’s Apone!

A pale imitation of my joke about a common naming misconception.

But people will actually get my joke.

I don’t get it.

The common man can’t appreciate my brilliance. Case in point: Dave Perkins.

I was hoping Tom would see it. :(

Saw it and LOVED it. No joke. Who do I talk to about getting a like button on this forum?

-Tom

Video quality is bad. Shaky-cam from the audience, but here’s a video of the reunion at the Calgary Expo:

I was luck enough that Calgary is only 3 hours away, so I drove down again this year. While I didn’t attend the rather pricey Aliens Exposed evening show, I did get a chance to talk to Lance Henriksen again (talked to him at the Calgary Expo 2 years ago) as well as Carrie Henn at her table/booth.

I got Lance Henriksen to sign my Alien Anthology box set.

The funny part was that after he signed on the Aliens page, he looked at the box cover and said “I am going to sign it right across the alien’s dome. That will look awesome!” and went and did it. If you ever get a chance to meet him in person, do so. He is one of the most pleasant and approachable people I have ever met. It was nice to talk to him about Aliens this time. 2 years ago, when I thanked him for doing Admiral Hackett’s voice in the Mass Effect series we spent about 20 minutes talking about Mass Effect and the ME fans that he met at the Expo. It was surreal.

Carrie Henn said that Aliens was her only movie. She didn’t even really audition, she was picked, so she thought “this might be fun”. Well she did it and that was it. She is a school teacher in California so we mainly talked about normal things between two strangers and not her memorable performance at such a young age.

I went to the Michael Biehn and Paul Reiser panels. They were both excellent. The crazy one was Michael Biehn’s. We had just short of an hour with him and he only answered 2 questions in that time. After the initial warmup, someone asked him about his role in Tombstone as Johnny Ringo. He talked solid for about 25 minutes about the movie, getting the party, the history of the film, the director getting fired after 4 weeks and just tons of details. The one I liked best was the final shootout between him and Val Kilmer, they had basically worked it out the day before. They didn’t want it to be this high noon in the middle of town thing, they wanted it to be more intimate. So after some practice they presented it, and it went in to the movie. Then he went on to explain the actual history of what happened at the OK Corral. We were all just mesmerized. Then there was the required Aliens question and boom, off he went for another 20 minutes. It was just magic. I swear he was talking about events like “It was Tuesday, so we all went…” Sheesh, I am having trouble with what I did last week.

Paul Reiser’s panel was excellent and while there was only a portion of the time spent on Aliens, most of it was about Mad About You and his upcoming projects. The mans is still just whip-smart funny. There is something about laughter that impedes my memories, so I don’t remember too much about his panel. Only the laughter.

Derek

Thanks for sharing, Derek - That sounds awesome indeed!

The best suggestions I can give to anyone going to one of these are the following:

1. Panels are best. Check the schedule on the week of the event. Many things don’t get firmed up until days before the event, so check the website and select the panels that you most want to see. Double check once you get to the event with the guide and errata sheet. Panels move rooms, change times, and sometimes cancelled, so plan accordingly. Line up early.

2. Autograph area. Just because you aren’t paying for an autograph, doesn’t mean you can’t line up and say hi to someone. I have spoken to many people when their booths/tables were almost empty and most are willing to just chat and hang out. That has happened twice now with Lance Henriksen and both times were for about 10 to 20 minutes. Adam Baldwin once, too. Check the signs and most people are also willing to grab a quick photo with you, too. Some have paid photo ops so booth photo are prohibited.

3. Just ask. Every celebrity I have met has always been very polite and accommodating. Just ask them. Want a photo, handshake, autograph, whatever, ask them first. Some expos and people have different rules and personalities, so doing the right thing usually gets you more than you asked for.

Derek

That’s nice dear. I’m SO HAPPY for you. Its nice to have imaginary friends.

Everything Derek said.
I got in a shouting match (friendly one) with one of the Buffy guys about the Red Sox in the middle of RI comicon last year. It was hilarious. I got his number, he got mine and we have a bet around BBQ and world series tickets for this year. (he buys if LA is in, I buy if the Sox make it back.)
Everyone waiting in line was like WTF? but whatever.
And Greedo? i have a signed photo that just says ’ Screw Han, he lived.’
Just have fun, and yes goto panels. They can go either way. The Adam West panel was a bust, but Billy Dee Williams…amazing.

Ripley doesn’t like your Ableton set

I, uh, guess it helps to know who Ableton is.

I enjoyed it and I have no idea who or what Ableton is!

-Tom

Early music creation software that has been around for ages!

Ableton AG is a Berlin-based music software company that produces and distributes the production and performance program Ableton Live and a collection of related instruments and sample libraries, as … Wikipedia

That’s awesome!