I love Aliens

You had a great chance to snark at Zylon for not knowing everything and you passed it up!

Too late, now I know everything. Destruction of the universe commencing in five.

30th Anniversary reunion:

Bill Paxton doesn’t look like he’s aged much

Reading through this thread was fun, but the almost bottomless nature of it has now made me want to hurl. I should know better than to read a long thread without pages.

It’s too bad that phase where we were quoting Aliens in 18th Century English memes did not survive.

But then again, who does?

Oh wait sorry, wrong movie.

Jeanette Goldstein or GTFO.

-Tom

Can I create a ‘I love the I love Aliens thread’?

I started reading the thread and saw the 1/328 at the side and was like, damn, 328 pages?! Then remembered this was Discourse. I can do 328 posts, silly.

The English rework phase in the middle there was a surprise and hilarious. Shame the memes didn’t make it but I’m going to guess they involved Joseph Ducreux?

@krayzkrok: even five years ago, I’m glad you could stick up for Alien 3 in the same way I would have :-) I thought 4 was absolute garbage but the workprint of 3 was great. Confession: I enjoyed it more than watching the director’s cut of Alien, mostly because of Scott’s disrespect for the lore that Cameron laid down by reinstating that scene with the eggs that made no sense whatsoever. Why would he do that? The scene’s interesting as a glimpse into the xenomorph’s early envisaged life-cycle but it should have remained cut. Contrast that with the Aliens director’s cut where nearly all of the restored footage is welcome. I could take or leave the LV intro, but the sentry sequence and particularly the scene where Burke reveals what happened to Ripley’s daughter only strengthened the film.

A phrase that some friends and I used to quote a lot from Aliens as kids was ‘Shag it!’. When I watched the film back some years later I didn’t hear it and wondered whether we’d just made it up. I watched it again more recently and Apone says it in the background when all the marines are loading up for first assembly.

Okay, so I’m ready for my annual Aliens fix now. What an incredible movie.

Yes @geggis, a Ducreux fest!

Ah, that’s interesting, I had no idea. And you’re right regarding the asexual reproduction outside the colony, I’d not given that much thought. Maybe I’m just being a bit harsh! For what it’s worth, I like the scene itself because it’s creepy as heck, just like the chestburster scene in Aliens. I can only imagine how creepy it would have been in the theatrical release because you instinctively believe Dallas, Brett, Parker etc. to be dead but… no they’re not. Bleurgh.

Alien was great. Aliens was even better. It’s in my top 5 of all time movies, I fucking love it. I hated all of the other ones.

RIP, Sarge.

Sad. He was great. RIP sarge.

That bit where he pulls down on his eyelid with his middle finger and says “Look into my eye” to Hudson always cracks me up.

He has one of my favorite quotes ever. It’s one of my dumb comebacks (and one of those in-jokes that gets me in trouble with Tom, rightly so).

When I’m busy in the kitchen and somebody asks, “Is there anything I can do?” Of course I respond with…

“I don’t know, is there anything you can do?” in my Apone voice.

It’s a crappy way to respond, but I love the line so much I cannot help it. I’m working on it though.

-xtien

Another great Al Matthews role from another awesome sci-fi world:

“Haw ha ha ha! Bay 12, please.”

I vividly remember seeing this in the theater, and the laughter when he puts the cigar in his mouth after getting up from the cryo-sleep pod thingie. It wasn’t a “joke” per se, but a wonderful character detail that felt entirely real. It didn’t feel like schtick.

It occurs to me I’ve never seen him in anything else. Sounds like he was doing pretty well for himself, though. The obituary says he lived on the Mediterranean coast of France. Also, this:

Obviously, I need to watch Aliens again, but is this something we see in the movie?

-Tom

My very favorite lines from the movie.

I feel like there are two types of Alien movie. The first one was brilliant. It scared me and it was chock full of amazing tension. The glimpses of the full grown alien in the vents when they close the, rusty and screaming, closures (apertures? what the fuck are they called?). Anyway, that was one kind of movie. It had little or no humor. It was pretty much a remake of It! The Terror from Beyond Space

Alien 2 was a buddy movie and a find the damn kid first movie. Actually I always thought that Newt was just a reincarnation of Jonesy from the first movie.

Ultimately, to me, they were two different movies with a similar conceit. One was not better than the other. They were both amazing.

Dude, c’mon. Jones didn’t die. He’s even alive during the events of Aliens!

-Tom

“And you, you little shit head, you’re staying here.”

Alright, shall we call it a trope? An annoying one? If we need the characters to go into more and more danger, can’t we write that danger? Instead of making it a pet/kid chase? BTW I hate kids in movies. Maybe you noticed that? :)