I love Aliens

I think it’s implied during the scene after the initial attack, where Hudson notices Apone’s vital signs are still registering, and as they briefly talk about going back in after him, Ripley informs them that he’s being cocooned like the others, and it’s too late to help him. The existence of the queen had not been revealed yet.

But yeah, the wording in the article kinda makes it sound like he was right there in the queen’s chamber when Ripley blows it all to hell.

There is the third type of Alien movie as well. The type that allows for fantastic power naps.

One thing that gets lost in all the Aliens commentary is that it’s an almost unbearably tense roller coaster ride. It’s got smaller ups and downs in the beginning, but then when Newt is captured and Ripkey has to go back for her (the Jonesy stand-in part, I presume) my 14 year old self was all, oh no you don’t! But Ripkey faced down the queen, twice, and everyone lived happily ever after. I said, EVERYONE LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER.

(Just kidding - I actually like Alien 3).

MS: But there’s this fantastic quote that I found, where you said of Alien 3 that “a lot of people hated Alien 3, but no one hated it more than I did.”

DF: I had to work on it for two years, got fired off it three times and I had to fight for every single thing. No one hated it more than me; to this day, no one hates it more than me.

I’m with the Director on this one. Not quite as good for napping as Resurrection, though. That underwater “chase” sequence was sooooo restful.

Even a film’s director can be wrong. And he’s just annoyed because he got steamrolled by Fox. He got Disney’d before it was cool.

I love you, Man. But I am with Fincher on this. You know what they say, Mr. Dive; " The best part about being alone is that…"

“… sometimes the bear eats you.”

I went looking for Apone quotes but instead enjoyed some re-cut scenes.

I wondered if it was some sort of cut scene, like Burke being cocooned. Didn’t they shoot a Burke cocooned scene? Or am I confusing it with Dallas cocooned in Alien?

As for Alien 3, I’m totally down with it. Like the two movies before it, it is its own thing, completely different from what proceeded it. I love how bleak it is, from start to finish. I don’t break up with the Alien movies until #4.

-Tom

Yeah, that scene is terribad. Absolutely nothing of value is lost.

This is how much I love Alien and Aliens:

I saw the first Alien 3 poster visiting the town I was born in (but only did the initial part of my growing up in), and spent the next year + so excited about the movie that I started haivng alien dreams. And man, I had all kinds of alien dreams. Some were weird. Some were terrifying. Some straddled several different tones.

I dreamt I was on a shuttle that was headed to a space station I knew had Xenomorphs on it. I couldn’t get the crew to believe me. I used a computer to hack into the station so I could see the aliens on the internal cameras. Sure enough, they were everywhere. Also, each was a color of the rainbow, and very bright. It sort of took the tension out of the dream.

A similar dream I was on a ship going to investigate a station not answering calls. It was sort of a tense dream but I never identified why. I remember when the station finally came into view, and there was “Alien Secretion Stuff” all over it. It shocked me awake.

In another kids at my school were disappearing. I discovered that some of the students and teachers were in a cult that worshipped the creatures. And there was a hive located below the school. I remember sneaking into our “Fine Arts” building and finding a hidden marine weapon cash. “Ripley ran out of ammo, I can’t afford to make that mistake” I said as I rigged up two sets of Flamer/Pulse Rifle combos (one slung over each shoulder, so I could dual wield). I remmber strapping on extra pulse rifle clips and sticking 3 extra strappy grenade vest thingies in a back pack. “I’ve got this”. I remember that when I walked back out into the school the cultists wouldn’t dare challenge me. I entered the hive and slew and slew and slew. It was video game like.

In another, an alien was chasing me in our school. I remember that I couldn’t ever find a door out, and that the school was very maze like. Somehow I managed to get out a window and as I was fleeing into the woods I started to feel a strange pull as if I was being sucked back into the school. I used to do this in scary dreams, and it would keep me from getting away from stuff. I remember looking back as I fought the pull and seeing an Alien crawling out the window. I was so terrified I broke the pull and got away and I never had this issue in a dream ever again.

In another dream I as at a party at a friends when a huge spaceship landed, and they started pouring out of it. A friend of mine and I escaped. And it turned out he wasn’t a synth but he was immune to alien acid and super strong. What followed was a video game like experience where we would secure supplies or free people from cocoons and I had to divvy up supplies between hideouts and decide the best place to deploy my friend. We would establish a new hideout and then an older one would get overrun and I would have to rush to get the people rescued before they got face-hugged. It was sort of crazy.

There were more. Aliens in pools. In forests. In buildings. Chasing, stalking. Sometimes I could fight back. I drove loader like vehicles. I had a dream where I flew some sort of craft, doing bombing runs on alien hordes.

Alien 3 wound up a partial letdown. But I think part of it might have been my own feverish expectations, hatched by a subconscious doing it’s own thing and not consulting me in the least. By the time that movie came out I was desperate to see it.

I was going to say the same thing. They should have let you write Alien Resurrection, @peacedog.

Remember the underwater chase thingee. I seriously fell sound asleep in the theater during that. Woke up when the lights came on. That was the end of the film for me. But I was rested!

Yeah, cut out all the crap with the albino hybrid alien and the movie is like 25% better.

I liked Resurrection. I’m the one. I like it for the cast, Perlman, Hedaya, Winona, Dourif… It was a comedy. Hell it was a slapstick comedy. Why so serious y’all? Bet you didn’t like Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein.

So you only saw the first half then?

Whole thing, buddy. Sure the alien baby that ate Brad Dourif’s face was annoying. But no more annoying than Jones or Newt.

{Changes notifications on thread from “Tracking” to “Normal”}

Coward!

Yeah, so. Look Rich, you’re a great guy and all that, but, uh … have you ever considered that you might be crazy?