I love Lego

Oh god, my days of buying two of everything had to end. But if I could I totally would!

I much prefer Lego, but could not pass up this megabloks set.

Now I need to get to work collecting some genuine stuff for my (soon to be) little one as he grows up! I swear it will all be for him!

Interesting. Now that I know, I’m definitely going to refer to them as “legos” from now on. (Yes, that’s with a small “L” in the front.) I’m going to march into LEGO stores and ask for “the legos” and see if anyone twitches.

Now we’re going places. “Hey you guys sell them logo things here, what you can build a spacey ship type thing with?”

I used to buy ten sets when they went on deep discount. Especially Star Wars sets. They’d marinate in my garage for a couple of years and then I’d sell them at double the list price. I never actually paid a dime for Lego.

Haha, you trolls. I found this article from several years ago saying that the company acquired legos.com and had that domain display a message chastising visitors from saying “legos”.

Nice. I spent way too much money on them.

Though I typically hate the trend of trademark stuff, Lego does have a point. We (well, many) call all tissues ‘kleenex’ and all photocopies/copiers ‘xeroxes’ because of name dilution. Lego is one of the few high-quality products left out there deserving to keep that name. Seriously - a brick from your 1950 collection works seamlessly with all your kits fresh off the shelf today. That’s impressive.

LEGO blocks are also much higher quality than the knock-offs. It’s a sad day when you’re rummaging around in your Lego bin and find the piece you were looking for, only to discover that it’s a Mega Bloc.

(Oops, Daagar basically said this…)

One issue that bugged me as a kid was that Lego flat bricks were 1/3 height, but our collection also had some knockoffs that had 1/2 height thins. I guess in one way it opened up more customizability, but in practice it mostly just added a step of height checking when trying to make things match.

Yes, I hated that too. You throw that shit away! Knockoffs would somehow worm their way into my collection, and they would be either too loose or too tight.

Speaking of separating bricks, I really wish I had one of the brick separators when I was a kid. Lego’s excellent customer service sent me a free one when I reported a missing piece, and it was life changing. Having two is even better.

I found a very thin-bladed dinner knife to work excellently. We had a knife in our mismatched silverware that my mom hated and she gave it to us to pry apart Legos. When I got hold of them again recently (cleaning out the old house) I noticed it’s still in there.

Many, many of my childhood Legos have teeth marks in them. Getting those things apart was hard, yo.

So who else has spent any length of time standing around a store squeezing collectable minifigure bags to identify them?

I’ve got it down to about 30-45 minutes to find a complete set (not counting the recent “Mr. Gold”, screw that), which I feel like is a pretty good life skill.

Very nice. I never collected the figs, but I read awhile back that you could tell which one was which from looking at the barcodes. Did they get smart and fix that since then?

I’ve tried to do that with Japanese small collectible anime figures before. They come in little boxes, so all you can do is compare their weights, and also feel and listen to how they shake inside the boxes.

It was just announcedthat Lego will get a new line, namely The Simpsons. It will be a small launch at first, but if there is a lot of interest, the production can increase.

Yeah, the first few series had distinct barcodes and/or these little dot patterns in the sealed edge of the bag you could identify, but by the time I started buying them it was all just down to identifying the actual parts by feel. It’s weirdly satisfying, and the Toys ‘R’ Us employees must see plenty of people doing it, because their reactions range from indifference to knowing nods as I stand there staring off into space pawing at their merchandise.

I had a little Lego love affair in the early 2000s that left me with thousands of LEGOs and some fond memories. I even started some fan sites and went to festivals. Fun stuff!

Seems like they license tons of stuff now. Back in the day you had to make your own Superman! Which come to think of it, we never did. We came up with our own heroes and stories instead of branded heroes.

I used to use the tapered end of one of the little Lego wrenches that the Lego figures could hold in their hands.

Every single time I see this thread, I think “I love lamp.”

That is all.

Hey, y’all got any of them lamps what you can use to build one of them piratey ship things?