I love Patsy Cline

Yeah I know, not exactly controversial territory here. Growing up in a small town in Louisiana it seemed like old-times country music was always in the background, kind of permeating my subscious. Stuff like Waylon and Willie, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, and Patsy.

I mean, you don’t need me to tell you all about her life and career, and I imagine we’re all familiar with so many of her songs right? My favorite has always been her breakout song, “Walkin’ After Midnight.” It’s got the wonderful loping kind of beat and background chorus, and Patsy’s wonderful voice. But what keeps me coming back is its odd, almost apocalyptic (or maybe post rapture) vibe, of a woman who keeps going out walking looking for her lover.

I walk for miles along the highway
Well that’s just my way of saying I love you
I’m always walkin’ after midnight
Searchin’ for you

It just grabs me, this idea of a woman whose lover left her? Disappeared? Died? Who knows? But she keeps looking, going out night after night. Anyway, I looked for another thread to put this in and couldn’t find anything suitable so I figured what the heck, New thread everybody! Woo!

I’ve heard this song a thousand times and never really listened to it. This really is a fantastic song!

I love Patsy Cline. Her voice is so clear and full, no warbling or vibrato.

I can’t stand modern country (male models singing about trucks) but give me the old timey stuff anytime

Not exactly country, but here’s my favorite cover of Sweet Dreams

Patsy Cline is amazing.

She also helped me to decide I didn’t want to ever work in the music industry for a living.

See, the notion of Patsy Cline being amazing isn’t something that’s either controversial or particularly arcane; this isn’t secret knowledge. (And btw, that’s not to denigrate this thread, because Pogue does a great job of calling out a great song, the lyrics you might’ve missed, and the fantastic way Patsy executes it.) But if you ask a thousand music fans who have any breadth of exposure to music and music history, “Would you like to listen to some Patsy Cline?” you’ll get damn near a unanimity of opinion on her excellence.

So it’s 1992, and I’m a paid intern/flunky doing field tour support for a major record label, the entry-est of entry level jobs in the industry. And a band on our label with song getting MTV and radio airplay is touring the country, and as I’m in the midwest, I’m charged with being their tour manager’s gofer and whatnot for four tour stops from Memphis to St. Louis to Kansas City to Denver. And they had a rented bus that I was on, and I’d just fly back to STL after the Denver stop.

So we’re in the tour bus, heading through the middle of nowhere in Kansas, and the group decides they have to stop for lunch. So we find this town of about 10,000 or so off I-70 and a reasonable looking diner place. We’re all in the diner, we’ve all ordered. And there’s a jukebox in the corner. And one of the guys in the band jokingly goes to check it out…and comes back laughing about how “shite” it is. I go over, and it is mostly terrible. But there’s also three Patsy Cline 45s in there, including a cool lesser-known single “When I Get Thru With You”.

And so I dutifully report to the band that the jukebox is indeed awful, excepting some Patsy Cline singles. And the manager of the band says “So…definitely shite then.” And the lead singer of the band follows with “Fuckin’ terrible.”

And at that moment, I realized something I’d been told by a friend who’d gotten out of the music industry already was absolutely true: no one in the industry actually likes or cares about good music, and they’re all tone-deaf assholes. And that if I wanted to work in that industry, I’d have no choice about who or whom I worked to promote and assist in their careers.

So yeah. Thanks to Patsy Cline for getting me off that path. (Said band, btw, has largely disappeared into the Ned’s Atomic Dustbin of history.)

Oh, and if anyone reading this thread is also a Patsy Cline fan, I’m hoping that:

1. You’re also a Neko Case fan, or
  2. You’re about to go investigate Ms. Case’s music, because she’s about as close as it gets, vocally.

Big Patsy Cline fan, though I got there by way of Cowboy Junkies.

Neko Case is great too.

Yeah I could never get into Lucinda Williams but Neko Case is pretty great.

Edit: dammit autocorrect

Same. I like Lucinda William’s stuff, but I tire of it quickly.

k.d. lang, on the other hand, grabbed me on day 1 and hasn’t let go yet. She had moved well beyond her Reclines “tribute act” origins by the time she did Shadowland in 1988, but the Patsy Cline influence is still very strong there. Wonderful album.

E: present perfect was a terrible idea…

Oh yeah, k.d. lang’s voice is amazing, I do love to hear her sing as well.