I love stusser

We should kick him down some port, at least. Here’s to you, buddy!

About the pre-installed software: Do you get a disc, too, or is it a ‘once you format this hd you’re fucked’ policy?

I love this thread. Please keep posting to it.

You get a windows disk with dells, not sure about the crapware. Just uninstall that stuff anyway.

What’s the point of a DX 10 card without DirectX 10? Don’t you want your god-rays? Don’t make him smite you.

P.S. I like Vista’s version of Explorer. Bread-crumbs rule.

I saw this on Digg, or some other forum, yesterday; great deal. Did I read somewhere that Dell uses more industry standard, as opposed to Dell proprietary, parts in their XPS line? ie, PSU and mobo that are interchangeable with retail upgrades? If so, it’s even all the more attractive because that’s a sweet chassis.

Kinda. From what I understand, Dells are real BTX cases. There are no real BTX cases or motherboards out there for purchase from say, Newegg, so that poses a problem for dimensions and such sometimes.

Woa. Is that really under $600 w/o a monitor? I feel like I must be missing something…

Wonder if this would stack with some sort of teacher discount.

After this thread, we all love stusser.

$600? The info I saw via the link was ~950 – were you looking at a quad core config at that price? Would love to find one like that…

No, you remove the monitor from the order to obtain the $950 price.

Yeah, if this was $650 without a monitor I’d buy two and use one as a doorstop. Or a place to rest my port.

I think I’m going to buy this. Perhaps RIGHT NOW. I’m not sure I’ve ever spent $1000 at once, so cross your fingers with me. This is scary…

EDIT: Wait, I’m concerned. Why is it asking me for a school name and ID when I go to check out? What’s that about?

That’s very tempting. Looks like you can go the E6850 instead for $50 more if you prefer. Still a hell of a deal.

Anyone know how long this lasts? Also, the link goes through the “Member Purchase Program” for “Students, Faculty, and Staff.” What does that mean?

Waitaminute, I’m confused now. People are saying that E6850 is way better…for only $50 more…halp!

Damn…comments…on…slickdeals…!

Yeah, I made a topic about the 420 when it came out because I thought it was so awesome, but jesus, this deal is incredible.

Basically, the thought is that the E6850 is a better gaming processor right now because each of it’s two cores is faster than any of the Q6600’s four cores. Since very few games even use dual core processors yet, you would likely see better gaming performance on the E6850. On the other hand, it could be in a few years that having only two cores would hold you back when more games take advantage of quad core processors.

Either way, it’s pretty badass.

About the school thing: this is apparently a deal for students and faculty, but all you need to do, according to folks on the slickdeals comments board, is fill in whatever you want into the fields (something that won’t get horribly turned down on sight like ElGuapo’s Academy of Love) and it should be fine. Though when you go to the credit card checkout section, it fills in the school info onto your billing address, which may be a problem. I dunno. I’m gonna give it a shot.

AND, since I don’t need a Blu-Ray drive, AT ALL, I should be able to sell it on craigslist for at least $150 and help recover even more of the cost. If I want to… :)

EDIT: JUST bought it! Woo hoo! Now to go calm my shaking nerves with a nice tall glass of MILK! Ahh!

EDIT 2: Daedalus, what did you put in the School column? Did you bother? I put that I’m with the Oakland Art Institute, which doesn’t (technically) exist…is that wrong? <—yep, that’s the sound of buyer’s fear

According to the slickdeals comments, you can put any bullshit in there, and they will still happily take your money. Personally, I put in the name of my apartment building - a fine institution. My purchase was acknowledged, then confirmed. The order status now reads ‘In production’ and has a ship date, so I assume I am good to go.

Sweet. I hope all is well. I’m jumpy from spending all this cash. Thanks for the reassurance.

Just to confirm: I chatted with a Dell rep this morning to check on what ‘In Production’ meant in my order status: it means the order was accepted, they checked my card had the funds, and will charge when it ships.

Provided you’ve had the order confirmation email, you should be good.

Aw man, it’s just as well I didn’t see that deal at the time: I don’t need a new PC but I probably still would’ve bought that if I had the chance.

“It’s too awesome to pass up!” says I.

“God, you are a stupid jackass,” replies my conscience.

I do, and I’m confident too, but thanks for the follow up report. I just wish the build time was shorter. It was pretty impulsive of me to buy something I had just heard about that day, and three weeks is going to be plenty of time to worry several cardboard coasters into colorful, beer-scented confetti.