I Love You, Q23.

I understand that. But there is more.

OTOH if anyone is upset by my comment I’ll delete it.

That’s fascinating and I’d like to read the story, but I’m too busy being ceaselessly amused by this bit from the article:

The phrase “I sexually identify as an attack helicopter” is a transphobic Internet meme.[2][3][4] The phrase originated as a copypasta on the Internet forum Reddit, which spread to other forums such as 4chan, where it was used (peaking in 2015) to mock transgender people.[5] A 2020 Australian study identified those who identified their gender as “attack helicopter” in online surveys as belonging to “incel” and “troll” subpopulations, and described them, on average, as “single Caucasian males, high school educated, with average to low incomes, and some degree of non-heterosexual attraction”.[6]

(emphasis mine)

Oh yeah I vaguely remember that story and the controversy.

But I do think that you can’t reference this specific story so easily. If someone named their band “Adolf Hitler” then even if it was anti-Nazi, if you said “I love Adolf Hitler” no one would know you meant the band.

Since the story title is a reference to the shitty meme, referencing it out of context is still referencing the meme, is what I mean.

Every forum is different, with its own norms, but I must admit I’m surprised at their popularity with what seems like really crazy overkill moderation decisions.

I did not use the phrase

For a reason. And, again, I will delete the first post if you think it was in bad taste. And honestly I have not, because it would change the discussion a bit for people who come here later. Do you think I should?

That’s a good point! It’s where my mind went right away but I can see how you put distance there. I don’t really know if you should delete it or not, I’m not good at those kinds of calls and it’s a personal decision.

Resetera spawned from the NeoGaf forums a few years ago when they got shut down due to the overwhelmingly toxic atmosphere that developed over there. The resetera mods took their experience at GAF and did an extreme overcorrection. Gone are any dissenting opinions in the fears that someone may be triggered or offended.

I’ll put it this way. If anyone thinks it was bad taste I will delete it.

DUDE IT’S FINE

E - also the correct response is, “I am a meat popsicle.”

Enforcing a monoculture minimizes toxicity but comes at a cost. Surprised at their popularity with such overly aggressive moderation. You see it in smaller forums, but wouldn’t have thought it’d scale.

I dunno what that forum is, but I would definitely have been banned.

It’s largely the same mods, they just bolted from the owner of the site because the owner got outed as a pedo.

It’s constant struggle sessions over there, combined with any dissent getting labelled as some form of bigotry.

The reason it scales up is that basically these folks aren’t very different from Trump supporters, just in the other direction, it’s a cycle of hate and self-delusion that feeds on itself.

That said, much like the current Republican party, eventually it get to be too much for some folks , and they leave (or they get banned), which makes the remaining posters even more wacko on the average, but more engaged, while slightly lowering the size of the base.

If folks like that ever got in control of the Democrats, I’d leave the Dems.

Dude, you’re a grown ass man. Don’t force other people to make your decisions for you. Don’t delete it, just take this exchange as a new data point and, if you think appropriate, don’t use it as a joke again in contexts where you’re concerned that people might misinterpret it or find it triggering.

20210420_181223

See also: MetaFilter. Actually, a number of communities. The Internet is not good at making tents bigger.

Hi! I love QT3 too. Nice to see you!

Same. :)

Lets culturally reappropriate the attack helicopter gender. I just read that story and it very much is not transphobic. It’s fucking awesome in the way it steals the traditionally rightwing milfic tropes to paint an imo interesting and enlightening picture of queerness. Bravo zulu on that story.

It’s the first hit on the sources list in the wiki. But I’ll link it for good measure. Attack chopper better be thorough, lest a MANPAD whacks you from behind the 3-9 line ;-)

Voila: http://archive.is/oXDEt

Oh and by the way, I love Q23 too. It’s been a part of my life for a long, long time and will remain so for the rest of my time I think.

I sexually identify as [deleted for your protection]

I mean, definitely LOBL, though.

I was banned from ResetEra for telling someone that a character concept can evolve during the writing process for a game. I had previously received temp bans for suggesting the Epic Game Store was not evil.