I’m so proud of Michigan today

It’s been terrible in this state for a while. From the most vulnerable being poisoned by water to save a buck, to major cronyism and corruption in the legislature.

Today we elected a Democratic governor, Senator, Secretary of State, Attorney general, and all 3 proposals passed. Anti-gerrymandering, full marijuana legalization, and automatic voter registration.

I didn’t trust we could have a fair vote in this state, and my gut instinct tells me the real win percentage is higher than the final tally will show.

Now we finally have some people who do care about our state cause our current Republican representatives did NOTHING while trump cripples our auto industry and parts suppliers with his moronic steel and aluminum tariffs.

My home state, though I haven’t lived there in over a decade. I’m so happy for you and everyone else there!

I am happy you are feeling uplifted.

I was born in Royal Oak and lived there until the ripe age of 2! Lots of my mom’s family still live in Richmond. I don’t know how they vote or if they’d see tonight as a positive thing but here’s hoping.

I live in Ann Arbor now but grew up in New Baltimore, so I know what you mean.

Glad to hear it. I’m still stuck with Steve Fucking King, so anyone feeling good about their state is refreshing.

@jpinard I’m so happy for you guys. NC is a mix, but there were some state gains. I’m hoping for more in 2020. We took some steps back, like requiring an ID to vote, etc.

For what it’s worth, the whole state is feeling uplifted as well.

Michigan Proposal 18-1

2018 ballot measure

Coalition to regulate marijuana like alcohol

Ballot Text: This proposal would: Allow individuals 21 and older to purchase, possess and use marijuana and marijuana-infused edibles, and grow up to 12 marijuana plants for personal consumption. Impose a 10-ounce limit for marijuana kept at residences and require amounts over 2.5 ounces be secured in locked containers. Create a state licensing system for marijuana businesses and allow municipalities to ban or restrict them. Permit retail sales of marijuana and edibles subject to a 10% tax, dedicated to implementation costs, clinical trials, schools, roads, and municipalities where marijuana businesses are located. Change several current violations from crimes to civil infractions. Should this proposal be adopted?

Hooray! I really liked a lot of things about living in Michigan, and could totally have been happy there if things had worked out differently.

I believe that. For instance, the Secretary of State unofficial results page shows Debbie Stabenow just barely leading in the Senate race, while Michigan Radio’s reporting of AP results shows a solid victory. Similar with several other state-wide offices…Attorney General actually shows the Republican winning. That SoS page isn’t including Wayne County results yet (that’s where Detroit is), which I’m sure they have some excuse for, but in reality in boils down to dragging their feet and providing limited election resources to the largely-black Detroit areas.

I’m generally pleased with the election results here as well, although I’m not terribly optimistic that a lot will be done in the next few years because Republicans still kept majorities in the state House and Senate. Thanks, gerrymandering! Maybe we’ll get lucky and Whitmer will work some magic to get some bipartisan work done, but I’m not optimistic. By 2022 we should have the redistricting commission’s redrawn districts up and running, but between now and then I expect massive obstructionism from the state legislature.

Former Warren resident here and I am jazzed about the results. Especially the victories of Jocelyn Benson as Secretary of State and the defeat of Mike Bishop. I am an alum of MSU and my Spartans showed up to tip a very red congressional district. Good for Elissa Slotkin.

Jocelyn is a rising star. She is the former Dean of Wayne State University Law School in Detroit and she is young so expect to see more of her.

Feels like the Democratic Party transformed from a nursing home to a deep bench of exciting young leaders, and Michigan women are helping to lead the way.

And voters passed Proposal 3, which creates automatic voter registration and same day voter registration.

Congrats to all my old Michigan cronies. As you know, moved from A2 just last year to the wilds of upstate NY, but I was following Michigan closely last night–and it turned out better than I imagined it could.

Fuck Shuette. Or however it is spelled. Glad to see the end of his political career. He is slime.

Yea, he is/was a total dirtbag.