I need a new PC in 2007 - What am I waiting for?

I love the guys at Storage Review, but that chart you pointed to doesn’t include the 7200.10’s. They’re substantially faster than any 7200RPM drive I’ve benchmarked, so I doubt I’m giving up 15%. And I much prefer my setup, which is a large capacity RAID 1 array with a single 500GB drive (probably to become 750GB) as near line backup.

Even with a 7200.10 in RAID 0 (and again, I strongly discourage anyone reading this from choosing RAID 0), it isn’t even close.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2760&p=7

The difference is not subtle. And believe me, I started out as a 10k skeptic. Once I used a system that had a 10k drive, my opinion did a complete about-face. It’s a substantial difference that I feel every day in typical use when I move from my work PC (which has a “fast” 7200rpm drive) to my home PC with the raptor.

That’s also why I bought another Raptor to upgrade my work PC…

Stay away from Vista and youll be fine.

Cause there aint no vista, there aint no views, and there sure as hell aint no vista of no views! >D

Squeakyfoo’s specs are pretty close to the machine I just built last week:

• Case: Antec 900
  • CPU: Core 2 Duo E6600
  • Mobo: ASUS SLI P5N32 Premium
  • RAM: 2GB Kingston PC2 6400
  • Vid Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTX
  • Sound Card: Creative X-Fi
  • DVD-ROM - Samsung SH-183
  • PSU: Thermaltake 750W
  • HD: Western Digital 250GB drive (x2)
  • Card Reader: Atech Flash 28-in-1
  • Mouse: Razer Diamondback
  • Keyboard: Logitech G15
  • Monitor: Dell 2405FPW

Squeaky: you can save a lot of money by getting an nVidia 650i MB instead, while still keeping SLI. Check out the Asus P5N-E SLI and compare its features and performance.