I need some advice please: PS3, PS4 or nothing

I’ll go with nothing too.

Regarding Last of Us, it’s playable via a Playstation Now subscription if you’ve got good enough internet. Right now that is only available on Playstation systems, but it’ll be expanding to TVs eventually and maybe other devices. You can read more here. Most of the good PS3 exclusives will probably end up on it at some point.

I don’t think one game is worth the price of a console+ game + if PS4, online junk fees anymore.

Until there’s at least 4-5 games you really, really want on a console, don’t buy it. I don’t think the PS4 will do that for me ever.

If you had asked this question ten years ago about PS2 vs PS3, getting a console might have made sense. These days, there’s no reason to bother with a console if you’re comfortable being a primary PC gamer. The only possible incentive would be console exclusives and those stopped being much of a thing in the previous generation, much less this one. I personally can’t imagine missing the few that do exist among my ridiculously extensive (and ever growing) PC backlog.

Now that consoles have all the things I want in gaming, It could be a good option to buy a PS4, maybe a PS3 too… but I don’t know that one.

The thing with PS4 offers me (a PC gamer since 1981) is that everything is integrated in a nice package. VoiP with other gamers, fast switching from one application to other, digital download (even if prices are no there yet, and probably will never be) and nice wireless devices.

When I get home, I put my wireless headset (that weight nothing, and feel confortable) and use the controller to put the machine on, maybe join a channel with friends so I can start chatting from ther, or maybe I get invited to do a raid in Destiny.

It has many downsides, too. The price of games is ridiculous (theres no way I am going to pay more than 50$ for a game, but brick and mortar shops ask me for 70$). Just now the PSN network is down. Sony network engineers are dumbass that don’t know how to implement uPnP (apparently) and the services is has many times down because shortages as the device failing to proper forwarding ports… I have it easy, but many people have horrible problems. Another downside of a PS4 is that theres no games yet. But I think in about a year there will be enough to have something to fill the time.

I really haven’t been paying attention to what is available on the PS3 other than The Last of Us. I guess the exclusive games I know I want are:

1. The Last of Us
  2. Demon’s Souls
  3. Grand Turismo

I think I want

1. The various Infamous games (I don’t know much about them). Wouldn’t want if they involve semi complicated combos.
  2. MLB: The Show
  3. The Uncharted games

There could be more but like I said I don’t really know much about what’s available and which are exclusives. I don’t enjoy JRPGs, so that would knock out the genre. The last 3 ‘don’t get anything’ votes took some of the wind out of my sails - which is probable the wisest move. It’s not like I’m rich and entitled to get all the toys I may want. My guess is that I won’t get getting a new TV anytime soon, so the Playstaion Now is probably not in my future anytime soon.

I actually have a 9 game PS3 backlog, including MGS4 which I bought at release and never unwrapped. In total I own 14 PS3 games, just stuff that only came out on consoles that I wanted to play. I really need to finish The Last Of Us…

If you are mostly a PC gamer, hold off on the console you want until the first hardware revision and significant price drop. Then pick up the games you want for it on the cheap, as most will be at least 1-2 years old.

Teiman reminded me of one thing that made happy to have a PS4. The Witcher 3 is coming out and the specs on it are a bit out of my PC’s league. If that continues to happen, I may use my console for more gaming. At least until I feel like shelling out a grand to upgrade everything that needs upgraded.

At this point I think a PS4 is out of the running for me. It’s either a PS3 or nothing. Maybe in a couple years I’d consider a PS4 if the price drops and there are games that are exclusive to or play better on the PS4. I just need to decide if it will be PS3 or nothing.

I think I’ll go exercise - blech.

Stairmaster or Crosstrainer?

You gotta go hardcore mode: running outside in the snow.

What? Am I seriously the only one here who will run with wind chill at -20f?

I used to exercise a lot and was in pretty good shape. I haven’t exercised regularly for years. I play tennis, lift some weights from time to time, sometimes go running. I keep trying to get in the habit but after a couple weeks I tend to take many month long breaks. Currently I’m mixing in some strength training with cardio and hit the treadmill a bit. I don’t like running enough to do it when the weather is too cold.

Man up guys, run in the snow with a log on your shoulders. Rocky style!

The friggin’ LA Fitness near my place removed all the ash trays from the stair masters a while ago. :(

Nope. I’m a “winter runner” as well. It’s…brisk.

As for PS3 vs. PS4 vs. Nothing I would say nothing if you are a PC gamer. There is so little in the way exclusives that unless you literally have dollar bills clogging up your plumbing I think it is a waste to have lots of multiple platforms. Sure there are exclusives, but there is good stuff on each platform so just pick your favorite poison.

I took the plunge and got a used PS3 from Amazon Warehouse for $170. Says its in good condition and comes with The Last of Us. It’s the 250 GB version. I had $125 in Christmas money I received, so I justified the purchase with that. I may sell my XBox 360 to make up the difference + some. I’m not sure if I’m better off selling it through Amazon or the spring garage sale with the games I have.

Thanks for the input guys. I was very tempted to pass on it (and maybe I should have), but at least I’ll get to play The Last of Us and some of the other ones.

I highly recommend getting Journey.

You really should have passed, but since you didn’t, I would recommend looking into PS+. Several of the games you’ve mentioned being interested in have been PS+ freebies for PS3. Admittedly, this might mean you already missed your chance, but it demonstrates the prospective value of the subscription. (Granted, it’s a better deal if you also have a Vita, PS4 or both, so I’m not sure it’s an automatic must have in your case. But, y’know, investigate at least.)

By contrast, I wouldn’t expect PS+ to be a great value in your situation. I’ve had it for the last year, and it’s justified the $40 I paid for it, but just barely, and only on the strength of the Vita selections. Overwhelmingly, the PS3 games that went into the Instant Game Collection were multiplatform titles that had already been 75% off in the last Steam sale. And while it was theoretically nice to have a way to play them, I found that if I wasn’t interested enough to buy at 75% off, I wasn’t interested enough to make time for them over the other stuff in my backlog.

PS+ is a great value for someone with two or more PlayStation systems who uses them as their primary gaming platform, but not so much for a PC-first console dabbler.

Demon’s Souls, all the inFamous games, and most/all of the Uncharted games have been in it at some point, along with a bunch of other PS3 exclusives. I’m not convinced that it’s necessarily a great buy for a single platform owner, especially in its modern format. But I’m never going to play anything on PS3 or Vita that I could play on PC, and it’s absolutely been worth it for me. Rob may or may not agree. I’d just suggest looking at it.

Yeah, there are certainly a few exceptions (in the year I had it, Dragon’s Dogma and Dragon’s Crown come to mind). And depending on the lineup of that particular year, it could pay off. But you might want to either wait until there’s a game you know you want to play announced and subscribe then, or check the 2014 list and see if getting access to those games would have been worth $60 to you (haven’t seen a significant sale on 1-year cards this time around, unlike last year).