I need some graphic novel recommendations

Yeah, Y the Last Man is great because it just ended. The final trade may even be out by the time he gets to it.

Dude. $132 for the entire series (1-10) on Amazon.com, shipped, without tax. That’s cheaper than two copies of the Absolute Sandman on sale on Amazon right now. There are very, very few books on my shelf that cost more than $100 MSRP, and while I think that the Sandman series is absolutely exquisite, they’re not worth $600 for the full set, let alone the full price.

Other recommendations: I personally loved Morrison’s Invisibles series. Very, very strange, but well worth the esoterica for the story. Another one on my shelf is Ellis’ Orbiter (but I’m a fan of the space program in general), and The System by Peter Kuper - no words, all art.

My favorite graphic novels of late are the Conan compilations by Cary Nord and Kurt Busiek. Classic stories, fantastic art.

You’re missing the part where each volume of Absolute Sandman represents more than one TPB. There will be four in all for the whole series, weighing in at between $240ish and $400, depending on whether you get bargains or not. It’s a premium, absolutely. But compared to the other Absolute books (all of which retail for $100, most of which are lavish reprints of single TPBs that you can probably score for $10-15.), they’re relatively reasonable. And if anything deserves that treatment it’s Sandman.

Do you have names for those novels?

I was wondering if Absolute Watchmen is really worth the “Absolute” price increase. I mean, it has an extra 40 pages and now is priced at £50 while the regular one is at £11 :|

EDIT: is it worth starting the February comics thread or can we use this one? :)

Hmm. I see what you’re saying, but that’s still twice as much as the entire series in PB - much more reasonable than my own estimate, but twice as much! I agree that the Sandman series is certainly worth the attention, regardless of how much you pay for it.

I went looking for the series today and found Absolute Watchmen on Amazon for $47. I’ve never seen it for so cheap.

The extra pages are just reprints from one of the earlier Graphitti hardcover edition - they’re cool, in that they have notes on how Moore was going to use the Charleton characters before they scrapped that idea - so if you have that edition already there’s less of a reason to buy the Absolute.

That said, the improvement on the art is really spectacular. Basically, I look at the Absolute line as the Criterions of the comic world - if you like this book, this is without question the best version available. I paid $75 and it was worth every cent.

Yeah, it retailed on Europe for £75 (~$146) and has only dropped £20 since then. I think i’m going to wait a bit more till it drops to a reasonable price.

Sure, the first volume is Conan: the Frost Giant’s Daughter and other stories. They’re up to volume 5 now.

FWIW, anyone interested in reading Y: The Last Man should stay clear of the review in this week’s Entertainment Weekly. They completely spoil the final issue.

No kidding, I read that by accident.

Not that there’s a spectacular secret story event, but still not nice. They don’t do that with any other media they review.

Yeah, that’s why I figured it was safe to read it. I’m way behind on the series but I read the first couple of trades and figured I’d read the review to get a gist of whether it ends well. I was pretty shocked by how explicit they were with the details.

I found it incredibly confusing, but I read it in just under an hour and a half for a class, so that could be part of it. It’s also part of the mood he’s trying to evoke: so if you like simple, clean storylines, avoid it. If you enjoy asking WTF?!, then you’ll probably like it.

Seconded.

Thanks for the recommendation for Lucifer. Best thing is the final volume (11) is out, so you can read them all in a marathon sitting.

(The only comics I ever read were Asterix and Sandman. Very enjoyable.)

Tried the Conan comics, both the dark horse and the vertigo. After a few volumes I have had no motivation to continue.

Iron Man Omnibus - got it today, yay!

I’m going to recommend 100 Bullets.

100 Bullets is about a man who gives an attache consisting of a gun and 100 untraceable bullets to select individuals who’ve been wronged in some way, allowing them to exact revenge and get away with it.

It gets much more complicated and awesome than that, over time. It’s definitely worth the read. Be sure to grab the trade paperbacks.

Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience,Visions of the Daughters of Albion all by William Blake. Old Skool graphic poems.

A thing that many of the suggestions on this forum lack is elaboration; check out the links on these recommendations to find out even more:

Times’ All-Time 10 list.
DC Comic’s Top 30 list.

another vote for Fables