I need some non-fiction book recommendations on the Crusades

My local library lost their copy of Steven Runciman’s book on the crusades, so I’d like to know if anyone else has read any good books about the subject.

“Warriors of God” isn’t bad. It details the conflict between Saladin and Richard the Lionheart in the 3rd Crusade. There was some interest in adapting it to a movie, though I don’t know what the status of that is now. I am not a history buff so I can’t pass judgment on the book’s accuracy etc., but it was a decent read.

Buy the three volume Runciman book if your library doesn’t have it. A real page-turner - I came away from the first book like I’d just read a transcript for a lost, Crusaders-themed Three Stooges short, which was apparently what the First Crusade basically was. I’d say its main advantage is that it doesn’t spend twelve hundred pages trying to advance a political agenda, a boast few modern Crusades histories can make.

Slightly off the intended topic, but I would be interested in a non-ficiton book on the Eastern Orthodox church, in particular the Marionites (sp?) that doesn’t have a political axe to grind. As I understand it, the Catholic church is responsible for burning all of their historical documents so there is precioius little for an author to go on but political agenda.

Any suggestions here?