I need to see spacefleets going bang zap!

This should be small negative to your own fleet morale, huge negative to enemy fleet morale.

WHY?!?

The Rogue Squadron games (the last 2 gamecube ones) did space combat pretty well. The Endor battle level was particularly awesome, as well as the final super death star attack level.

Really crappy video of the Endor battle in that game

It did such an awesome job with a sense of scale, with hundreds of AI fighters flying around, cap ships shooting at eachother, etc.

I am too. Anything that makes me care about the saving the ship and allowing you to carry that on to future battles.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident had some very nice space battles. Homeworld-y, but with a twist.

If you want some literary references, check out David Weber’s Honor Harrington Series or even the Rogue Squadron Books for more inspiration.

That looks very promising. I wonder if it will run on an XP virtual machine in Fusion?

At least you had the sense to pick the cool one.

Sorry, doesn’t happen. That effect was just an accident of the engine. When capships in FS2 run out of hitpoints, beams no longer collide with them. This occasionally produces the illusion you noted.

Speaking of Freespace.

You mean in real life?

Do TRY to hold on to the context.

Right now there is no character development or ongoing heroics, its just a sequence of completely unprovoked, unnnecesary big space battles ‘for no adequately explored reason’. If I had an ongoing plot I’d have to rename it “perfectly understandable space battles” and I’ve already bought a domain name.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It’s become clear to me that the sense of scale wasn’t there, so my fighters are now smaller (and there are more of them) and I’m adding more weapon varieties too. I already had escape pods in as a gratuitous visual thing, but so far they can’t actually be targeted and zapped.

Speaking of escape pods: The engineer quarters would be closest to them, wouldn’t they? Guess they’d be able to bail out first :)

In either case, you should probably pick a title that doesn’t sound like a patent application.

“Strange Adventures in Infinite Space”… now that’s a good title.

Oh, I’m not suggesting that these folks get medals and become heroes in an ongoing campaign, but in one big furball where you can root for Admiral Handofgod, you get some cool stuff unintentionally because players make it bigger than it is.

Either way, I’ll be playing it. :)

Hahahahahaha!

Actually, I like the idea of naming a game “Perfectly understandable space battles.” And then making them anything but. :)

This. Those of us you who’ve played Star Control: don’t even try to deny that you kept Fwiffo alive for as long as possible. I also tried to prolong the lifespans of some of the randomly-named ship captains, specifically the ones with awesome names.

It’s a nice way to add personality without adding any real personality to the game. I mean, we’re still talking about Gratuitous Space Battles, but with gratuitously named men at the helm of these behemoth angels of death!

Would be pretty cool if when you blow a chunk off a ship you see all these little dudes spilling out into space and as you mouse over them their name and rank pops up. :)

Space games almost always seem to suffer from being a little too sterile for folks to latch onto them. This might help avoid some of that.

Keeping Fwiffo alive had more to do with it being the only Spathi ship you could keep and the Spathi ships being badass.

hey uh… has this been linked yet? Because it should’ve been, if it wasn’t.

Are you sure? The way I remember it, you could keep any of the Spathi you already had on your ship after they peaced out, you just couldn’t make more. Though that was still added incentive to keep Fwiffo alive if you hadn’t gotten him killed by then.

Weaksauce. Battlestar Galactica vs Star Trek vs Babylon 5 vs Star Wars.