I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

So for posterity, and because this thread was locked when I posted my impressions up on the other indie games thread, I’m collecting those thoughts up here and adding a few more:

Anyway it took me about 20 hours in total to beat all levels on all difficulties and the hardest difficulty (Ecstatic) is intense. TLDR: anyone who’s a fan of bite-sized play session arcade shoot 'em ups (with a twist) should absolutely check this gem out. Some post-game general thoughts:

I love the horizontal and vertical axes on the crosshair so it’s super easy to find your pointer. I love the dash ability and how it gets stronger with each successive lock-on (great with fangs upgraded for an aggressive dash bite). The dash is a really smart way of offsetting standing still to target enemies and feels great. I love the glowing abdomen when a bullet is nearby (it also shows what part of your spider is the bit to watch out for). I love the clarity of the bullets to avoid. The sound and visual cues on enemies like the mage flying or the sniper zaps, and of course the pick-up barks (‘heat sink!’ ‘freeze!’) go so far in helping you prioritise targets. I love the colour grading on pick-ups and how they slowly gravitate towards you. I love the craters in the background. I love how the different enemies counteract different upgrade weightings. I’m amazed how ‘drill’ expanding the arena makes it feel like a very different experience: zero drill is a dogfight in a cupboard whereas max drill feels like outer space bullet hell. Freez is so satisfying, particularly with the audio slowing down (the explosions sound so crunchy). The music and visuals are, of course, fantastic. I initially found that the click-hold movement fatigued my hand but I think that muscle built up fast and I quickly forgot about it! The mouse movement and aiming is a revelation though and I love the friction between the two. The result is an incredibly fluid almost gestural system that made me feel like a bullet hell wizard. So good. My only real criticism is the tooltip roll overs in-game can obscure the action when you’ve upgraded drill. I feel like that should be in the pause menu or tutorial only. Also the spider is rad and crawls around beautifully.