I Played This Indie Game and You Should Too!

Never heard of it.

Eh, it wasn’t on the last coupla pages, since the game release. /shrug

Do they plan a mobile version? It would be crazy if they don’t.

… less frustrating than Pinball FX.

There’s the box quote!

I was tempted to grab Ironcast because I love all things steampunk. But I think I’m just too tired of Match-3 variants.

Though to be fair, you spelled the game’s name wrong in your thread title so a search by title won’t turn it up. But yes, searching first is good.

True, but it’s spelled correctly in the body of the thread, and when I did a search it was the first one listed. But it is a pita that thread titles can’t be corrected

Personally, I think it’s fine to add game to this thread even if they have a thread of their own or have come up in some other general thread. It’s a place for making the case for a little game that might be overlooked! Thanks, Diddums!

I have no rules in the other indy game thread ;) BUT they are mostly games you haven’t actually played yet, but sound interesting…so i guess that is a rule! Darn it.

Cross-posting from the Beat-em-up thread since it’s appropriate here too.

I just played through Proxy Blade Zero. This was a game I had heard nothing about but took a random flyer on it during the recent Steam sale because it looked interesting and was only $1, and it’s been a very pleasant surprise. Created by a lone developer, it’s stripped down to focus solely on the combat – a couple paragraphs of story, simple but functional graphics reminiscent of an uprezzed Unreal, no need to unlock moves, no bloated combo lists, no puzzles to solve, no RPG elements, just room after room of different configurations of evil robots to hack to bits.

Fortunately, the combat system stands up to the weight placed on it. You play some sort of robotic samurai, and can use a mix of standard melee slashes, special moves that work well against unshielded enemies, and powered attacks that cut through shields better but drain an energy meter that you also need to use for rocket dashes. The rocket dashes are one of two main defensive options – they give you a lot of speed and maneuverability, but no invincibility frames so you have to make sure you actually get clear of whatever’s attacking you. The other defense is a parry that blocks any melee attack and chains into an EMP blast retaliation that breaks shields and stuns the attacker, but a missed parry leaves you stationary and vulnerable. There’s no scoring system, but effective play has a nice satisfying flow to it, and using all the available tools to pick apart varied groups of enemies is quite fun. It’s especially nice to feel yourself getting better at the game when a particular encounter has killed you a few times and you go back and wipe it out with ease (I probably had a dozen deaths on the final boss before going unscathed when I finally beat it).

My biggest complaint is the controls not being remappable – they’re functional for the most part, but have some odd choices that took a long time to get used to (lock-on on LT, parry on X, attack on Y). Besides that, some enemy configurations wind up a bit heavy on passively running in circles while waiting for an opening to go on the offensive.

It’s a nice, tight 3 hours (for me at least, playing on normal and getting a few game overs during that time), and ends right when it’s explored the combat system and before devolving into excessive repetition. A real steal at $1, a bit more of a gamble at the standard $5, but if it clicks for you it’ll justify that price. If nothing else, I’d at least recommend putting it on a wishlist for the next sale or watching for it to show up in an indie bundle.

I tried searching the site to see if anyone has talked about Town of Salem yet… didn’t see it.

Town of Salem

What is it?
It’s an MP browser based game now available in Steam with the potential to go Mobile. They’re still working on some other features that will make the game a lot better, like private lobbies.

If you’re familiar with games like Werewolf, Mafia or The Resistance: Avalon, you’ve got the general idea of this genre.

Why should you play it?
It’s actually a lot of fun. The mechanics are very basic and can use some work, it’s a browser based game but a quick trip to the Wiki is worthwhile. This is a game where you spend a lot of time lying, or being lied to and trying to figure out who has what role. To make things even more interesting, while you have the Townies (the good descent folk), and Mafia (the three bad) you have all the other roles in there with their own goals which are like neutral parties, like the Serial Killer and the Executioner.

Where can you get it?
It’s browser based or steam for now

Sell me on it! Why is this thing worth my time?

I’ll be honest. There are certain times of the day you seem to get the miscreants of the internet seemingly all in one game, but when you have people who are really playing, it’s a lot of fun. In one game, I as jailed for night, which meant I couldn’t do anything that night and basically had to convince the jailor I was good, i spent 25-30 seconds talking about the game and then just a games in general.

It seemed like the one time I wound up with the Jester role (the one role where you want to be lynched) I couldn’t act guilty for the life of me.

Probably the best game I played we lost 6 members of the town in one night (haven’t seen that repeated yet). There are 14 total I believe. It happened due to a series of people acting and reacting to just the right targets.

Another favorite moment, I was the town investigator just, you know, doing my job and a Vigilante offed me. In his notes, he actually wrote 50/50 chance I was bad… and then he spent the game apologizing. heh.

It’s worthwhile, and they’re still working on it. And yeah, it’s a little addictive.

I grabbed this is the sale and have yet to play it. Is it basically just classic Werewolf/Mafia rules, or do they have an original spin on them? If I play it, I’ll have to get used to there being multiple round, because One Night Ultimate Werewolf is really all I’ve been playing for awhile!

you can play classic or with all kinds of odd custom rules. there are three factions and one of them doesn’t even get along with itself.

I don’t believe is classic rules for either. They added a werewolf, although I have’t seen that role in play. The wiki they have is pretty nice and worth the read, so is the app which is basically the wiki. Getting the roles down was a challenge for me. Then just getting used to the interface and after a few games, i got it. Knowing how to use your notes was also a challenge.

Multiple rounds is nice, although it’s not the most fun to die in the first round. The Medium (talks to the dead) can help with that but it seems to be the least liked role at the moment since so many people just leave a game when they die.

I just picked this one up, but like it a lot already, Shu’s Garden:

RPS stuff:

It’s a great all ages game, sort of best with a controller i suspect (i’m using keyboard but not sure i got all the controls perfect just yet!) but did also work with my Joystick. Just kind of charming and surreal at the same time, with cute sound effects and music. Just $5, so an easy purchase :)

You can’t play this until October, but Brigador, a gorgeous isometric mech combat game, is looking very promising.

I NEEDS IT.

There are certain screenshots that will make me buy a game straight away without needing to know anything more about it. That is one of them.

Not sure if anyone bought Under the Ocean on Steam, the developer is still working on it btw. He is also giving out a free key for his current game A Fist Full of Gun to owners of Under the Ocean as a thanks for not asking for a refund on it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/227720/discussions/0/535152511372469134/

Ha, this debacle is still ongoing? I think he’ll be working on Under the Ocean for eternity.

He’s restarted the game what, 3 times now since 2012? He ran out of money early this year and then the programmer quit, so he removed the game from Steam while learning to program himself. There’s a ‘very early alpha’ available that says ‘not yet playable’.

I might grab the free key though, if only to throw it into the Giveaway thread.

Skyshine’s Bedlam looks pretty cool. It’s a Mobius-inspired post-apocalyptic FTL running on the Banner Saga engine. Releasing in September.
Trailer.

Just a friendly reminder about the Probably Thread for the eleventy million indie games that look sweet and will be released in a few months.

Anyone played any non-derivative indies lately? I’m always looking for something unique with deep mechanics.

Oh, people. I am super-enjoying RONIN.

If you liked Gunpoint (and who played Gunpoint and didn’t like it??), you will definitely like RONIN. It’s basically melee-gunpoint. It goes back and forth between real-time running, jumping, and hiding and turn-based slicing and dicing. In the turn-based combat, you can plan out your next move–jump, shoot your grappling hook into the ceiling, chop the dude next to you–and see the aim-lines of the enemies’ guns, which fire when the turn is done. Most of the time you have enough information to keep yourself safe, but the trick is to get in striking range AND have misled the enemies shooting at you enough that once you kill that guy next to you, you won’t just fall into the line of fire.

There are stealth bits, civilians you don’t want to kill, and some pretty cool boss sequences. The civilians and sneaking around is somewhat optional–if you get through a level without setting off an alarm or killing a civilian, you earn a skill point. Those are spent to get special skills like the ability to throw (and later recall from a distance) your katana, to place a decoy, or to throw stunning shuriken at everyone in the room.

There are some rough edges. The game was made by one guy. Sometimes the transitions between real-time and turn-based are sketchy. A few levels can get very frustrating if you’re trying to 100% all the optional objectives and get the skill point. The story is rudimentary, but appropriate to the gameplay.

Overall, highly recommended.