I, the Inquisitor aka The Revenge of the Christ

I’m actually more interested in the novels than the game, but they’re only available in Polish.

From IGN:

Developer The Dust has announced I, The Inquisitor, a story-based action-adventure based on the popular books by Jacek Piekara in which, in an alternate history, Jesus of Nazareth responds to his crucifixion with anger and rage rather than forgiveness and compassion. And in the centuries that follow His band of Inquisitors serve as violent enforcers of Biblical law. You play as Mordimer Madderdin in the 1500’s, and it will be up to you to show mercy to sinners or to punish them.

Does sound fascinating, and terrifying too.

This looks nuts in the best way. I am definitely interested in this one.

1,500 years have passed, since Christ broke the cross they nailed him to.

I’m not up on my Polish fantasy literature, but was this series a knock-on effect from Sapkowski’s success?

People on RPS are saying the original books are quite awful and regressive - lots of rape by the protagonist and his friends, for example, and lots of racism and homophobia. (I haven’t read them because they’re not available in English, so take with a grain of salt, of course. In particular, I’d draw a distinction between having racism and homophobia in the plot, because it’s set in a time when that was very open and acceptable and after all it’s a “dark fantasy”, and the author agreeing with that racism and homophobia - it was suggested he does but I certainly couldn’t tell you.)

Ah, you’re right. Now I’m embarrassed to be the OP on this one. Will not be buying the game or reading the novels.

Having grown up with this guy’s stories, I can tell you with full certainty that yes, the author is a full-bore that, especially on the queerphobic front. Polish fantasy of the kind he represented generally leaned heavily reactionary, and he was an exemplar in that regard. His political commentary is deeply cringeworthy as a result - I am particularly amused by how, in early 2010s, he wrote a screed about how the gays have stolen the rainbow from Judeo-Christianity and ought to return this sign of a covenant with God instead of despoiling it.

the books have numerous instances of rape and necrophilia committed by the main character (who is, all in all, a sympathetic character) and his flunkies, and amounts of casual homophobia was difficult to stand even for my 2000s, still-somewhat-Catholic self. And the racism is just everywhere. I don’t think it matters what his actual behavior is, the books are quite reprehensible, and it’s not Lolita-style “a look into the mind of a monster”, it’s a low-brow dark fantasy adventure, just with so much unpleasantness and prejudice everywhere. Like, Conan was downright progressive in comparison.

Jesus as played by Charles Bronson, what could possibly go wrong?