I think I messed up.... (bad taco meat?)

You have nothing to worry about…You have a will don’t you?

I ate bad clams the night before flying home from Maui 20+ years ago. That night, and the flight home is a week I will remember for all time.

That made me actually laugh out loud. Well played, sir.

Cue “This was a triumph…”

That BleedTheAnus crack made the whole thread worthwhile.

Agreed. Bravo, sir, bravo.

For future reference the Bad Bug Book. Note page 86 and the staph toxin that is heat stable and odorless long after the bacteria are dead. I have only had food poisoning once. From the Taco Bell on High St in Columbus, OH. Macho didn’t save me from having to have a bowl in my hands while I was sitting on the toilet wishing to be put out of my misery.

I see what you did there. I do not approve.

Don’t listen to these guys. In all likelihood you are patient zero in an extinction level zombie epidemic.

…braaaaains… (some zombies can run, I can type)

I find this post pretty amazing in a first world country like the USA. I have never experienced food poisoning (I did experience gastro when my boy was under 6 months).

Working at Safeway we threw away an amazing amount of food that would probably have been fine every night. So maybe the street vendors are not kept to a strict standard.

Would going to a side-walk food vendor worry you guys? It doesn’t in Australia but USA might be different, I would be very wary in India for instance.

Food trucks are a pretty big deal here in Raleigh, and they were around MIT in Boston as well. It seems that cities are always keen to run them out, but students love 'em and people seem fine.

On the other hand, when visiting family in Guatemala, I was forbidden from eating street food. Even though it was described to me as incredible, I was told over and over again that I hadn’t spent a lifetime building up an immunity to. . . well. . . everything. Guatemala’s hardly a paragon of cleanliness, though.

Speaking of grocery stores and Raleigh I seem to recall Food Lion having a very poor record with Salmonella. That was in the mid 90’s and hopefully it has improved.

Food trucks here in NYC are also a big thing. You need a vendor license and a health department permit. The restaurants here all have letter grades. And the food carts/trucks are monitored. So I’d eat at one, and often do, when I’m in the city.

Edit: It looks like letter grades for food trucks is a good possibility in the future as well.

I wouldn’t eat a dirty water hotdog, but I do eat from the meat on sticks with baguette vendors, because they cook that meat until it’s dead. And of course the chi-chi nouvelle gourmet food trucks are safe.

Somewhere I read once that many stomache flu’s are actually food poisoning. People leave something out to long, leave it in the fridge too long or simply do stupid things with their food.

If you’re only sick for a day it’s not the flu, it’s food poisoning.

It isn’t time that causes most cases of bacteria-based foodborne illness. It’s improper handling that is usually the culprit, and first-world countries (who have microwaves, ranges, and refrigerators) are far and away the most susceptible.

France somehow doesn’t constantly poison themselves, and their handling process is a joke by US standards. We consume lots of shit-grade meat is the issue.

Grade’s got less to do with it than conditions and the severe lack of oversight of the inspection and safety process. If companies didn’t sell meat contaminated with actual shit because it was economical to do so and they were allowed to, we probably would have a lot fewer problems, a hell of a lot more expensive meat, and fewer McDonalds around.

I’ll let you guys be the judge of that, but seeing as how McDs is one of my favorite places to go. . .