I think my home network was hacked :(

This is the beauty of my enterprise-ish Ubiquiti setup. Deep packet inspection gives all kinds of neat stats, and you can drill down even deeper. You can filter by user, by type of connection, by device, you name it.

Thanks for reminding me. Unfortunately, I replaced my router and the replacement doesn’t have this option. (The old one did.)

What sort of router doesn’t have MAC address blocking? Is it ISP provided?

I flew under the radar for a long time with Comcast. For some reason our bandwidth use always showed as 0 bytes. That finally changed last fall, and with multiple 4K tvs in the house streaming Netflix regularly, plus me being 100% digital on PS4, our real use was demolishing the cap.

I eventually figured out that they had up’d the speed of my plan at some point to more than my modem was even capable of. So by dropping to a lower speed plan and paying the $50 for unlimited data our bill only went up by about $10/mo.

Oh, so on an Xbox you might download to play, but then you have to delete the download to free up local space for a different game, then download the other again. I guess that does add up. I have heard about 4k, but I haven’t looked into it. I know I don’t have any 4k display available to me, lol. Thanks for the tips. I guess it’s just something to watch for over the next few months. The next tier up for me is unlimited, but it comes with a stiff monthly fee, so I’m going to put that off as long as possible.

There is a list of states where they have it. There are like 20 or so on the list I saw, so you’re state probably isn’t one of them.

I remember you posting that, but I didn’t realize it was a hacker (or I forgot). I’m feeling all complacent, but maybe I should change those passwords just to be safe

A crappy one.

My eldest nephew will sit and watch ARK videos on YouTube for hours, like more hours than he actually plays the game. It’s very easy for young people to burn through data and never realize it even.

Kids these days don’t know how tech works. I assume my parents’ generation also lamented about my lack of mechanical and automotive knowledge.

A recent reply-all podcast on gimlet media went on far too long as the podcast hosts didn’t know an audio file could freeze the car entertainment system.

Eh… Thats news to me as well (though I don’t own a car). Are these things so high tech these days that anything can basically crash it? If its frozen, how do you restart it? Turning the whole car off and on again?

This seems like a bug to me. I mean I’m pretty familiar, at least generally and often specifically, with how most tech works. An audio file shouldn’t freeze your audio system.

Automobile “infotainment” (ugh) systems are unbelievably shitty. I don’t know what the incentive structure is that makes them so awful, but they sure are. I’ve had to disconnect the battery to unfuck a hard freeze on my 2014 Ford.

2013 / 2014 Ford was notorious for their smart system / software. I was in the market, and I remember feeling kind of weird about avoiding a car due to it’s software, but that’s what I did with Ford. My car before that was a Ford.

I felt like the first half of the podcast was wasted because the hosts didn’t know how music files are processed–that those files have structure like metadata and filenames.

The car stereo system runs music software and the title of one of the podcast shows (99% Invisible) contains a reserved string (%I) that the system looks for as a heartbeat. They also marveled over finding the name of the coder embedded in the code.

They wasted a lot of time, some of it spent humourly recording fake podcasts the the first thing they should have done was try raw analog audio version of the podcast in file form or using the analog-in.

A lot of stuff people (as young as) 30 and up had to suffer through in computing is now abstracted and just assumed to work.

Mysterious black boxes of embedded systems upon other ones make these automobiles just smaller versions of the Boeing 737 Max.

Ford Sink?

Yeah. I think Sync reviews were in the toilet for those particular years which was the year (early 2014) I had to get another car after mine was totalled, with me in it.

It’s so bad. Also the clutch in this thing is so godawful they extended the warranty to 120k miles (iirc) to head off a lawsuit. I have had it replaced once already, at around 25k miles.

Ouch. Sorry to hear that.

Why did they call it a virus? It’s not a virus is it?