I thought we had a Baby Driver thread.

I like how Baby has a condition that makes him wear headphones all day to listen to music so he has like 9 iPods all full of tunes perfect for any given situation and while he listens to it he dances around like he’s in a musical and constantly plays air instruments and also makes his own music and he’s so in love with music that when he talks to people he quotes a lot of…movies.

I don’t know what John Hamm was doing but none of it worked for me. I know what Jamie Foxx was doing and it was instantly boring. Spacey delivered a minimum viable performance.

Still, I was ok with the movie until the last twenty minutes or so, which I thought were godawful but I’ll avoid spoilers.

Edgar Wright: pretty good if you need a playlist.

Way to be a hater, Cathcart.

Yeah I’m the worst :(

I liked the part with the Halloween masks!

I’m with you that the Hamm and Fox performances weren’t necessarily anything amazing, but to me the whole was greater than the sum of its parts.

Loved it, my wife loved it, and my almost-15-year-old who’d heard maybe two of the songs loved it and said the soundtrack was amazing despite the fact that he’s a hiphop fan.

I’m glad I don’t live in Cathcart’s world. Mine’s more fun. :-)

I hate this movie so hard. So hard. But if you want to see guns shoot in time with the soundtrack, well, I guess it’s your best bet.

I like how a music nerd thinks a band called T. Rex – that’s capital T period, capital R period, e ex – is pronounced “trex”. Oh, Baby, you’re so adorably hip except when you’re not. Just like how Anson Elgbort as a cancer patient walked around with an unlit cigarette in Fault of Our Stars. I forget what his point was. Something desperately hip.

-Tom

“Who doesn’t like hats?”

This one beats that…

Did you hate it right from the start? Was there ever a point where you thought it would be good and then it let you down?

It started to lose me the moment I realized Anselm Elbgort was in it. So, to answer your question, a few months ago.

To be fair, there was only about a 5% chance I wasn’t going to hate this movie. Edgar Wright’s stuff doesn’t really work for me. But this was, I’d say, the Edgar Wright movie I would like most if it hadn’t starred Assmeln Egbart. Because in theory, there’s nothing wrong with a YA version of Nicholas Wending Refn’s Drive.

-Tom

I dug it. Predictable and obvious character types, but there aren’t (m)any action heist musicals, so this was probably my favorite in that genre!

Just got back from it.

I thought the car chases were brilliant but the plot that strung it together and the writing was wince inducing.

I thought the actors playing Baby and Debora were particularly painful to watch. . It’s a real shame because the action was wonderfully done.

That’s nothing! Imagine how painful it is to watch that dude opposite someone who’s actually talented.

-Tom

I’d rather not thanks Tom!

I’ll just leave this here for @tomchick . Feel the hate, Tom!

I went with some buddies, and I was cringing in the beginning, had a lot of fun with Hamm in the middle, enjoyed the soundtrack, and then found it really self-indulgent and it bugged me. I don’t discredit a movie for being self-indulgent (ie I loved Hateful Eight), but maybe for Edgar Wright’s movies it just doesn’t work for me and felt cutesie far too often.

I would never say it was a “bad” movie, it was quite well crafted. Refn’s DRIVE is one of my favorite movies and I couldn’t stop making comparisons to it. As stated earlier, didn’t hate but felt really “meh” especially at the end.

I saw this a second time, and a few little things bothered me more than the first time I saw it.

This is a really good movie, and it thrills me that something goofy and original like this can succeed. But as Edgar Wright films go, this is probably fourth for me behind Scott Pilgrim, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz.

I’m indifferent toward Angel Eggplant—I don’t hate him the way Tom does—but Debora/Lily James grated on me a little the second time around, and their whole relationship had me cringing a bit. I don’t know if it was the direction she was given or just the way Lily performed it, but she was some kind of breathless pixie dream waitress and it bugged me. I wish she was more of a person and less of an empty charicature, even for a film in which most characters were broad archetypes.

Oh well, complaining over.

Argh, argh, argh, I’M IN HELL! /kinison

It amazes me that a guy with Wright’s keen insight into the cinematic – the way he shoots Baby Driver as a quasi-musical is pretty brilliant – can so completely flub the chemistry of two leads. I think Angel Eggplant and Lily James are both pretty awful and their awfulness squared is, for me, a big fat sucking black hole in the center of the movie. How does the guy who tapped so successfully into the chemistry between Simon Pegg and Nick Frost give us Eggplant and James in a movie he obviously cares deeply about? This was clearly a passion project. Why couldn’t he get, say, Thomas Mann and Olivia Cooke (Me and Earl and the Dying Girl), or Tye Sheridan and Bel Powley (Detour), or John Gallagher and Brie Larson (Short Term 12)? I just saw a movie I didn’t care for called I Am Not A Serial Killer, but the kid in it – Max Records from Where the Wild Things Are and The Sitter – is turning out to be an amazing actor. Let him take the driver’s seat in a car chase movie. Instead, I’m watching Angel Eggplant broodily pleased with his sultry good looks while Lily James smiles vapidly at the place where his head is to indicate love and fascination. Kill me now.

-Tom

So I enjoyed this - it was a fun summertime diversion, full of cool music and things that go boom.

I liked the Cornetto Trilogy movies much more, though. Part of that is that those movies were mashups that combined unexpected genres to produce both comedy and insights. Before Shaun of the Dead, who knew that zombie movies and romantic comedies were about the same thing? Baby Driver has no such ambitions - it’s a straightforward crime movie. Kid falls in with a bad crowd, tries to get out after one last score, etc. No big genre twists here, and none aimed at.

(The music angle, while fun, is hardly new or unexpected in a crime movie; see every Marty Scorsese crime movie ever. Not to mention Michael Mann, etc. etc. The Harlem Shuffle scene was lovely, though.)

Another reason the Cornetto movies come out on top is that they were much better grounded. They took typical British blokes, played by skilled comic actors, and put them into utterly over-the-top situations. The appeal came from watching the real collide with the ridiculous. Baby Driver, by contrast, is set up as a typical Hollywood movie. Meaning that, while there are no zombies or cultists or killer robots, it takes place in an ungrounded nowhereverse* where run-of-the-mill bank robberies are planned like military operations by Kevin Spacey, people hang out in perfectly deco’d retro diners, the correct configuration of sporty red cars can be relied upon to appear exactly when required, and the villain at the end can be expected to enact exactly the sort of tropes Hot Fuzz lovingly mocked. The real can’t collide with the ridiculous because there’s no real to begin with.

I can’t help but wonder whether Wright gave up his beloved British milieu, and the Cornettos, angry swans, and pub fetish that goes with it, to get this movie made, just like I can’t help but wonder whether Spacey, Foxx, and Hamm were cast to put butts in seats, not because anyone thought they were were perfect fits for the roles. I mean, I like 'em all in other things, but they’re basically phoning it in here. And certainly the soundtrack to Baby’s life is more that of a middle-aged Englishman who grew up on northern soul and punk than that of a millennial Atlantan. (As a middle-aged American who likes the same music, this is not a complaint. But it did make me disbelieve in Baby.)

Part of me hopes that Wright gives up his quixotic attempts to make big-budget Hollywood movies with the attendant compromises and goes back to TV, where he can make use of all those skilled British comic actors and do his own thing. TV is where it’s at now, anyway.

• Well, Atlanta. But you just know the only reason it’s the setting of this movie is because filming there is cheap.

I also watched it over the weekend, and went in with big expectations. It was fine.

@HumanTon covered a lot of my issues. It’s still a fun movie, but for me that’s about where it tops out.

Basically it comes down to the two leads not selling it for me. The movie has a similar plot, and hits a lot of the same beats that Drive did, but Drive just did everything better. Gosling sells the silent driver a lot better. Carey Mulligan was a better developed love interest, and Albert Brooks was more threatening than any of the villains in this. Is this due to acting, writing, directing, or editing? Can’t say, but the whole time I was watching I was thinking I’d rather see Drive again.

I know this is not a new thought, but Edgar Wright is not exactly great at writing female characters. In this, all of the women are defined by their relationship to a man; Deb is the manic-pixie waitress, Darling is mostly used to move the plot along and provide motivation for Buddy, and his mom is dead. These characters have little agency. Deb, after going on what, one date with Baby, decides to flee the law with him? There isn’t enough development and the characters don’t sell it. Same with Spacey when he makes his turn to sacrifice himself. I just didn’t feel there was enough of a build up.

The action was good, but not amazing. I honestly thought that the opening of the second season of Preacher was a more effective mash up of song and driving (LINK).

Edit: this comes off as harsh. I liked it. The car chases are really solid, good clear visuals and a unique style. It has really cool moments, but they just didn’t quite add up.