I understand the need for cdkeys

…but this is getting ridiculous!

There has to be a better way.

Well, it’s one CD key for each product. If you’d bought them as each came out you’d have entered all of them anyway, just spread out over a couple of years.

At least they let you enter them all at once in the Diamond edition. When I reinstall from my platinum ed, I think I have to enter each key as I install each expansion pack.

Well here is another problem with that installer that I found out. When you enter the keys if you miss key one it doesnt tell you till you try to get in to the game. I wish it checked it then but I guess not. Its a great set though I have been having a lot of fun with it.

I never played this game. Worth getting? I don’t know that I would ever do the multiplayer, so is it worth getting for the single player?

Yeah… but we’re talking 7 boxes of five characters each. Times three. That’s 105 characters to type in, with much potential for fucking up, with, as ranvarian said, no indication until you try and run the game.

Send me a PM with more details on this. The installer is actually more helpful then our previous ones in letting you know if you fsked up putting in the CD Key.

OK, I will take the bait, Chuckles. :)

3-1/2 year old game with 2 expansion packs, all with CD Keys. What is your solution?

We decided to prompt you for all 3 CD Keys at once as well as highlight any errors in entry (such as entering a letter or number that doesn’t exist), rather than just run all three installers sequentially. Aside from that, I don’t have any other good ideas on the subject.

SecureROM (the company, not the protection system) offers an interesting solution. They claim the ability to burn individual CD Keys onto the data disks and give you an API to read them off into your installer or your game, such that the customer never needs to enter them. Obviously there are some big potential risks with this and I don’t know of an existing game that uses this tech.

I dunno - perhaps a repackage with ONE CD-Key? Really not that hard.

How much are they charging for that?

Except that all game servers you would want to connect to require 1 CD Key for the original game and for each expansion. I am sure we could simply omit the expansion CD Keys for the installer, but then you would just be prompted for them later.

29.99 its on DVD only from what I have seen.

Not having three cd keys =)

29.99 its on DVD only from what I have seen.[/quote]

Yeah, I’m almost willing to buy it again on DVD just so I don’t have to dick around with the what, 7 disks now?

It was a steal for me because I had not bought any of the expansions yet. The fact that it comes on DVD is just that much better.

I have not had a chance to try out the kingmaker stuff yet but its a good value all in all.

For the original campaign (called the “Live” campaign), no. That one was terrible. For the two expansion campaigns, most assuredly yes. Those are excellent. Then there are about a billion user-made campaigns which are also excellent.

[quote=“Charles”]

Not having three cd keys =)[/quote]
Drat. Owned by the bloody obvious! I am not sure if the game industry itself ever looks that far into the future.

I, for one, would rather have invisible, Windows XP-like internet activation. And I don’t want to be told about it, ever, unless there is an activation problem.

Except that all game servers you would want to connect to require 1 CD Key for the original game and for each expansion. I am sure we could simply omit the expansion CD Keys for the installer, but then you would just be prompted for them later.[/quote]
:roll: Why not fix that problem too?

Except that all game servers you would want to connect to require 1 CD Key for the original game and for each expansion. I am sure we could simply omit the expansion CD Keys for the installer, but then you would just be prompted for them later.[/quote]
:roll: Why not fix that problem too?[/quote]

How would you fix it? Without patching the game to not require CD keys, and thus removing any need for people to buy it.

Just out of curiousity has anyone bought the original sims pack with all the expansions? If they don’t have a single CD key for that it could be a lot of typing as well.