I wanna be a Gunstar (Super) Hero

The sequel to the much loved Treasure Genesis game is here, and it’s…ok.

Gunstar Super Heroes is a homage/sequel to the first game. The plot is that the evil Empire is going to grab the 4 crystals…yada yada yada. You don’t need to know the plot, it’s an action game. Although the plot is well done; cut scenes, large anime style character portraits, and even snippets of voice acting abound.

Graphics are awesome. As the 1up says, it has all the old buzz words of the early 90’s. Parallax scrolling, mode 7 like graphics, sprite scaling, the whole nine yards.

The action is frentic. I love melee combat. Beyond each characters choices of weapons, you can do uppercuts, kicks, slides and other cool moves. It’s fast, fluid, and an absolute gas to go bounding around levels, kicking the crap out of people.

One of the new features is a variety of levels with different old school play styles. There is an Afterburner level, a top down copter shooter level, even a strange rotating level where you run around saving baby chicks.

Bosses are awesome too. Large, screen filling suckers with multiple pieces, just like mom made. Some are repeats from the original game, like Seven Force, and others are new.

My problems with it. One, it’s hard, and I am a wuss. I’ve probably seen the game over screen in this game as much as I have with Shining force neo, and I’ve played that for a week. It’s discouraging.

The other problem I have with it is that it is a little too retro. The length is determined difficulty, not actual game content length. Losing is treated harshly. I have become used to games that let you start at closely to the point where you died, and don’t punish failure with instant death. This kinda does at times. See above part about me being a wuss.

How does it compare to Advance Guardian Heroes?

The biggest issue with that one is slowdown, but it’s insanely entertaining in a sort of “this is what a side-scrolling brawler should be” way.

Did they retain the weapon mixing system?

The biggest issue with that one is slowdown, but it’s insanely entertaining in a sort of “this is what a side-scrolling brawler should be” way.

No slowdown that I’ve seen, even with a great amount of stuff on screen. Technically, it rocks the GBA, one of the best uses of the hardware I’ve seen.

Did they retain the weapon mixing system?

Nope. You get to choose a weapon out of three. It does have a system where you build up the energy of a weapon by attacking enemies, and then can let out a big burst. But no mix and match.