I want to take a leaf blower to my computer (case)

What’s the worst that could happen? LOL.

Though I am seriously thinking of doing this on low power. I have so much dust caked in there and spray cans and the little handheld units for dusting just aren’t enough.

You might want to start vacuuming more. :-)

My brother in law uses an air mattress inflator to clean his PC. I watched him do it once, and it worked really slick. Just the right amount of pressure. I keep meaning to get one, but keep forgetting, and end up using another can of compressed air (or butane or whatever it is).

Anyway, it’s similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Electric-Portable-Quick-Fill-Inflatable/dp/B08FQSQYTR/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=air+bed+pump&qid=1605759962&sr=8-9

I do it regularly with my file server. Unplug it, take it outside, take off the side panels, hit it with the 240v leaf blower in high from various angles of attack. Get rid of heaps of dust and to date has had no detrimental effect. YMMV

You need to immobilize the fans so they don’t get damaged from spinning too fast. Otherwise, go for it.

I did not know the fan thing until recently. Up until then making the fans spin reeeeeeally fast was my favorite part of the chore.

Also I bought a blower on Amazon since I was sick of wasting money and freezing my hands on bottles of canned air.

“It’s better to suck than to blow.”

Just vacuum it.

I have this and it works great:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI4UQK0/

I am pretty sure the most effective way to get rid of dust in your case is to drill small holes into your monitor and the dust will naturally fall out over time.

That only works with all-in-one computers.

I’ve use a wet/dry vac before and reversed the flow (so it blows out instead of in) and that worked fine.

Yeah, that’s what I got too. But it is pretty powerful, so fasten all your fans beforehand somehow.

I’ve been around long enough for this to make me laugh but not long enough to know where it came from!

You know, it’s funny. I saw this thread title and I thought, “I bet jpinard started this”. And sure enough, he did!

Enjoy!

I had the exact same reaction.

I don’t know if that’s good or bad lol.

I’d seen a meme on reddit last year where someone took this old PC out into the middle of a field, then took a leaf blower to it, and it literally looked like it exploded from the dust. I wish I could find it cause it’s quite hilarious. Thankfully my system isn’t that bad.

I use my air compressor to blow out my computer cases more than any other use (like say inflating tires or making figit spinners go insanely fast).

I have to immobilize the fans so that I can, one, clean each blade off, and two, get the stuff under the blades cleaned. Good to know I was unintentionally preventing fan damage also.

Oh wow, thank you. That’s… that’s quite a question/thread.

How do you immobilize the fans?