I weep for my PC and PC gaming

I have to tell you, my current PC is about five years old. This is the longest I’ve gone without upgrading in, well, forever. The sad thing is, I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to upgrade right now. It’s just that it’s been five years and I’m itching quite badly for a new rig.

I’ve got a Pentium 4, 2.53Ghz system, with a Radeon x1600 (which I only bought last year when my Radeon 9700 died), and I can’t even tell you how much RAM I have. At least one gigabyte, but I probably upgraded to two at some point. I’m using a 17" CRT monitor that I’ve probably had for twice as long. It works, and I’ve been successfully able to subdue my desires for a flatpanel.

I want to upgrade. I really do. I just can’t justify it since there isn’t a goddamn thing coming out for the PC that I desperately want to play. I would almost do it for DiRT, but all reports I’ve read say it chugs occasionally on even top-of-the-line shit, so I figure I’ll wait for the next generation of video cards. There is seriously nothing I know of in the pipeline that I’d want to upgrade for, save maybe Sins of a Solar Empire, and I’m not too sure I’d even have to upgrade to play it. What I’ve got now seems to work for what I want to play. It makes me sad.

Even worse, is that I’m so far out of the loop that I have no idea what is going on with PC components anymore. I looked at parts on Newegg last night, for example, and see now that RAM is listed with a “Cas Latency” number. I have no idea what the hell that is. I spent some time reading Anandtech, and there is so much shit going on with processors now that it’ll take me a few weeks of reading just to catch up. Is Intel actively trying to make things more confusive? I saw no mention of upcoming video cards, and from what I read it almost seems like ATI has thrown in the towel. It makes me sad.

So, what’s a guy to do? Seriously, someone either talk me into building a new system, or someone talk me out of it. This constant state of indecision is maddening!

(There’s a pretty sweet Samsung 6ms 22" widescreen, LCD monitor on Newegg for ~$300. I’m having difficulty saying “No.”)

If that’s the 226, you will be able to find it cheaper at some point. Mine was like $250 2 months ago.

Get a 360. Overlord, Dead Rising, Saint’s Row, Gears of War are just a few great games I can think of offhand that are already released, to say nothing of the upcoming holiday season.

Buy the LCD already. It’ll make your old system much sharper, and should quench your upgrade thirst for at least another year. Plenty of time to catch up on all the new catchwords, like C2Q, SSD, UWB, blah, cack, … Just promise to make a new thread on this board with your new PC build by then, so I can copy it kthx.

That was my thinking, too, but it had the opposite effect on me. You see, I couldn’t run newer games at 1680x1050 and have them look decent, so I ended up just buying a new machine I couldn’t really afford a couple of months after the LCD.

In my experience, the Benq FP222W blows every Sammy I’ve seen out of the water. If I were buying an LCD for under $300, it’d be that one.

Because we all love spending $20 or more for the same game on a different platform!

But yeah, if gaming is all you do on your PC and its cheaper to buy a 360… buy a 360.

Don’t cry, baby. It’ll be all right.

it seems most 360 games worth buying get PC ports immediately or several months later. If there are genres you like on PC that aren’t found on console, do the upgrade. A bit of reading on Tom’s Hardware will clear up technology issues. If you like more action/gamepad-shooter stuff, do the 360.

If there really is nothing you’re itching to play, which is wierd because I have a backlog and many games in sight in the near future, then fine, get a DS or something completely different.

ps. a 2007 rig will play DiRT fine.

I suppose it really depends on what you want to play. If there are no games out or comming out you want to play, then don’t upgrade. As far as I know, there are lots of games out now that a 5 year old PC will struggle to play, if play at all (with tolerable performance).

NWN2, Oblivion, any modern MMO, SupCom, C&C 3, or any RTS that came out in the last 2 years. Any FPS that came out in the last 2 years, etc…

My computer played NWN2 just fine, but I didn’t. What a disappointment. The only trouble I had when playing Oblivion was around the gates, and I don’t think I’m alone in that. (Also, I played that on my Radeon 9700, not the x1600…I should reinstall and see if it makes a difference.) I play Dawn of War just fine, but I haven’t played other RTS games because they don’t interest me that much.

As it stands, I’m still playing the crap out of Civilization IV with a little Pirates! thrown in. The upcoming Civ expansion is the only thing I’ve looked forward to in a while, but I have to admit I haven’t really been keeping up with things.

I’d get a 360, but experience has taught me that I’ll never play it. I didn’t ever play the original Xbox I had, and I haven’t played anything on my Wii in a while. I seem to only play games on the PC…I just like it better.

I appreciate the replies.

Two words for you: Rock Band.