Ian Anderson's "Orchestral Jethro Tull" tour

I went to Ian Anderson’s “Orchestral Jethro Tull” this weekend, and I have to say it was GREAT. He played with a regular group of guitarist, keyboardist/accordianist, and drummer, and then basically handpicked a group of orchestra players. He improvised a bunch of the old classic Jethro Tull songs (“Aqualung” was nigh-unrecognizable in a good/interesting way, and there was a great exerpt from “Thick as a Brick” among others), improvised some classical songs (there was what I can only describe as a crazy collage of Mozart songs entitled “Mo’s Art”), and played - along with the orchestra - a great rendition of Keith Emerson’s take on “America.”

All-in-all, they played for about 3 hours. Age has not slowed Ian Anderson down.

The tour is pretty interesting, because Anderson went to a lot of trouble to include the Orchestra. He’d been quoted as saying that usually the problem with a band playing wiht the orchestra is that the band drowns out the orchestra. Thus, not only did he work really hard to maintain a balance, but he gave the orchestra - or certain members - the spotlight a couple of times. He even let the chief violinist play a couple of her own songs.

Anyway, anybody else hear about this, or have any interest in it?

Not until you mentioned it, so I went to look up tour dates and notice it’s not coming anywhere near me.

Bummer.

I don’t know if it’s happened yet or is going to happen soon, but the tour was here (Vermont) and they were recruiting a local young musician to play with them during the sound check, and maybe on stage for a song. Seemed interesting.