ICQ account hacked

I have not loaded up ICQ in a while, but today I loaded it up and it told me my password was invalid. I have had this same ICQ account for like 10 years. I went to their password reset web page and not surprisingly, it didn’t know my email address.

So I am guessing the account is lost forever. However I would like to recover the contacts list. I have ICQ 7.4 installed. Does anyone know how to recover your contact list?

I honestly had no idea ICQ was still a thing.

Are you posting this from 1998?

No. Ask the ICQ support forum.

Obvious troll.

So what does everyone use today? Or are IM application so “yesterday” ?

I used to use ICQ in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. Now there’s no point because nobody is online anymore. I use Pidgin which lets me connect to MSN and Google messaging (and a ton of other IM programs simultaneously).

Google Chat, built into Gmail. It also works on my phone, which is nice. My main memory of ICQ is hearing about my friends in high school using it to coordinate Ultima Online PK runs.

IIRC, ICQ kept contact list information on their servers, rather than stored locally. I imagine there’s probably some kind of local file copy though, but it may not be available if the account isn’t connected.

Why would someone hijack an ICQ account? Can you not sign up for new ones anymore?

Google Chat. Though I disabled it in Gmail and only use it from Google+. I have an AIM account that I sign into when it was still directly supported in Google Chat, but since they changed it I used the importer (http://www.aim.com/import-to-gmail/) and haven’t logged into my AIM account since.

Same reason they hack most stuff, to send out spam links.

I think I remember my ICQ number, but I doubt I’ve used it since 2003 at the latest.

Coincidentally, the last time I used ICQ was playing Ultima Online assisting the SBR in anti-PK runs.

I can, but I want to recover my contact list. No point in creating a new ICQ account if there are no contacts in it.

Wow, you know people who still use ICQ? :P

Somehow, I think this might involve paying a ransom of one…millllllllllion…dollars, in gold bullion.

Help. Someone changed my compuserve password. Is there some way I can connect and access my newsgroups?

Man, I remember my ICQ number to this day. I lost the account like 8 years ago to a password + email snafu. I wonder if I could connive ICQ into giving it to me via customer service just so I can sign into it via Pidgin so that it can join the other half-dozen chat accounts constantly logged into internet ghost towns on there!

My parents blocked long distance on the phone, so now I can’t call my favorite BBS anymore. Does anyone have a local number for the Pirates’ Attic?