ICQ flaw - nah, really?

You can read about it here

Which is why, apart from the goddamn bloat in ICQ, I use Trillian Pro

The thing is…yeah, ICQ sucks. But it’s not like Trillian doesn’t have annoying issues either. Argh. You can’t win. :evil:

I’ve been using Trillian (non-pro) for a while now. I really haven’t noticed any problems in a while other than an occasional on/off connection blip a few times.

But ICQ just blows in all respects.

You must be using a different version of Trillian, as I have noticed any problems since I bought it. What sort of problems are you experiencing?

The only nag that I have - and which I can’t seem to figure out - is that stupid focus/away refresh. It happens at the most inopportune times - like for instance, when I’m testing my game in fullscreen mode. Then you see the monitor flash along with that annoying sound Trillian makes.

Yahoo Instant Messenger is free and easy…best smileys of the bunch IMO, too. I stopped using ICQ so long ago that I can’t even remember when I removed it.

–Dave

Yeah, but you’re the only person ON Yahoo Instant Messenger, Dave. :)

Trillian Pro rocks. Small footprint, accesses all the services.

I tried Trillian back in the .65 days. It was kind of neat, but since I can only access Y! from work anymore and at home, most of the folks I know use MSN or Y!, it became kind of a non-issue. Back then it wasn’t all that stable and had a lot of quirks too.

Y!'s best feature, BTW is the Chess IMVironment. I’ve played a number of matches throughout the day on that thing. Very cool use of IM.

–Dave

The Yahoo Messenger specific features are really cool, I grant you.

Too bad though that I only know one person that uses Yahoo Messenger exclusively. :-)

You must be using a different version of Trillian, as I have noticed any problems since I bought it. What sort of problems are you experiencing?

The only nag that I have - and which I can’t seem to figure out - is that stupid focus/away refresh. It happens at the most inopportune times - like for instance, when I’m testing my game in fullscreen mode. Then you see the monitor flash along with that annoying sound Trillian makes.[/quote]

Editing text before you send a message is buggy…quite often it screws up inserted line breaks/inserted characters.

Also, the file transfer UI has some oddities when dealing with multiple files or folders. I couldn’t receive a couple of files that a friend was trying to send me with ICQ until he put them in a folder – it wouldn’t transfer anything, and the transfer would time out.

Stuff like that.

Ah, thats good to know. I never use file transfers with ICQ because no matter what I do, it always times out. Probably something to do with my firewall.

Ah, thats good to know. I never use file transfers with ICQ because no matter what I do, it always times out. Probably something to do with my firewall.[/quote]

Or your inability to use a computer?

Ah, thats good to know. I never use file transfers with ICQ because no matter what I do, it always times out. Probably something to do with my firewall.[/quote]

Or your inability to use a computer?[/quote]

Go back to troll school you need more seasoning.

– Xaroc

I don’t have any IM clients. I win every day. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I liked the ICQ client back in the 98a days - but i’ve been using Trillian for all my IMing needs. It’s quite nice.

when i installed trillian, it refused to point blank even run. i’ve considered this not a good omen, but it seems it does work. probably give it another try soon.