I'd Walk 1000 Miles in 2022- fitness tracking and accountability thread

I think that’s the start of No Country for Old Men so be careful round strangers for a while :)

Thanks for the kudos @LeeAbe. I’m completely wiped out - I had to go to bed for an hour earlier. I did 11 miles, which is my second longest run basically ever, and however I’m supposed to fuel things like that, I didn’t :/ I’m functional again now but will be ducking my turn to make dinner :)

It’s a well-maintained path though, with a nice view along the Hudson:

Big Congrats!

I did an 8-mile run last week (plus two more walking) and that had been my longest in years. Survived fairly well (no injuries etc) though I did have to walk the next day because joints too sore for more running.

I’d say I’m on-target so far this year (but also we’re not even through the first month so TBD). As of today I have 46 miles walked, 66 run, and 4 hours of elliptical on days it was just too damned wet or snowing.

Diego

I’m up to almost 10 miles walking for the month. My achilles tendon is now my issue…hurts all the time but not enough to do surgery or whatever they can do. So, it really is limiting me … so tired of limits!

Having had tendonitis in my achilles before, I can confirm that it’s really limiting. Sorry man, there’s not much you can do except take it easy. Sometimes I do rowing or beat saber to get some aerobics when my lower extremities are giving me fits.

So cool to see you all y’all’s activities on the Strava club!

Joined the strava club. Might have to bike to get close to 500 miles this year…but miles are miles. I mountain bike off road and hills to get a burn with less mileage. I love hills. Need to find a brace for my Achilles. But ready to get in shape. Bring it 2022.

Yeah, it’s kind of neat having a club that isn’t completely random people. Thanks for putting it together @Matt_W! Looks like @Juan_Raigada is going to be the person to beat.

I am trying to walk 30 minutes a day, I will never hit 1000 miles with that, but it’s a start. I am easing my bad knee into it and hope to get a run in soon. Hopefully, that doesn’t put me on an extended break again.

Is Strava just for running? Or also for simple strolling?

Edit: ok, I joined. Am I right in assuming that only future walks will show up, not older ones? I wonder if I have linked the app to Apple Health correctly, but I guess I will see later today, when I have finished my daily walk.

At least when syncing with Garmin Connect, previous activities were indeed uploaded to Strava. I don’t know about Apple Health, though.

Well, from what I’ve read online, it should work, but I don’t see my walking distance show up for some reason. We’ll see If that changes after my walk today, and otherwise I’ll have to troubleshoot a bit more.

You can upload the last 30 days from Health. It’s been so long since I had to do it, so I can’t remember how to set it up though. The Apple Watch works well with Strava once it’s set up. Everything should sync automatically, unless you tell it not to. Walking is a third class citizen on Strava, even though a lot of people use it for that.

well, it doesn’t seem to work. When I try uploading, it says ‘no registered training in the last 30 days’, even though I have walked at least 8 km each and every day in 2022. I think the problem might be that I don’t actively register my walks as training or workout: I just walk, and my phone automatically tracks the distance. Maybe the app doesn’t recognize this as a relevant activity?

Yes, you need to do an activity on the watch, walk, run, etc.

Well, that’s too bad. I am not going through the hassle of actively registering every walk just to appear in the rankings. I quess I’ll just have to post my updates here!

Indeedy. It’s cool/weird to be see everyone’s movements :) Absolutely the stuff of science fiction not that long ago.

I’d been using Runkeeper, but for the benefit of hanging out with you guys on Strava in the QT3 club, I’m happy to switch. Surprisingly, exporting my January jogs from RK and importing to Strava was pretty painless! Now as long as the Strava app works fine for tracking my activity via GPS, which I fully expect it will, I’m all set.

Can you use Runkeeper (assuming you prefer it) and just have it export it to Strava? I record my workouts on three different platforms (Apple, Garmin, and Zwift) and my workouts all sync to multiple different tracking sites. Some take more work than others, but Strava is one of the easy ones, it just works.

Dunno, I didn’t look into it. I’d rather just use the one app anyway, so moving everything to Strava made sense for me. But it wouldn’t surprise me if there was a way to link them both.

You can use the Strava APP to track your walks.

So why Strava? I get that you’d want more features than Apple Fitness provides, but I don’t love the Strava monthly subscription & the features don’t otherwise look much different from apps that you buy up-front instead, like HealthFit.

I did install the app long enough to join the group….

Diego

I think just because it’s a common platform that syncs well with everything. You get a lot for free in Strava as well. The paid stuff is more for training plans or advanced stuff.