Ideas for decent, cheap printer?

Inkjet photos look fantastic on photo paper. I still keep a canon inkjet around for printing pictures. (Not that I do that much anymore…) Day-to-day is on my my Canon ImageClass color laser, so much cheaper.

Yeah, pro photographers use PIXMA. Fantastic results. Of course, the costs in ink and photo paper are considerable, but that’s passed off onto the customer.

I have the model a step down from that (2260). It does a really nice job, and the ink is super-cheap and it’ll be years before I run out.

Dunno why it’s so expensive, though. I think I paid like $170 for mine. I have a hard time imagining what that’s doing to cost another $150.

Megatank probably not razor blade model. The ink goes into that corner on the lower right. Use bottles to refill not DRM carts

Oh, I didn’t even notice the first time: it’s in Canadian. Still seems a bit high, but maybe there’s taxes added on.

Yeah it’s Canadian. I got them to price match BestBuy so it was $300. If I had used my head and started looking back in the summer it probably would have been on sale but i basically need it now so I went ahead and paid the regular price. Very pleased with it so far. It’s nice to have the ability to print the odd photo whenever you want because I’ve found that those little kiosks where you could do it yourself have practically disappeared. And the ink costs seem super reasonable. Cheap enough that I might actually buy the genuine ink. God these things are noisy though. Inkjets seem to have to run their rollers and gears for like 5 minutes when they start up.

My guess is printers are having the same raw material shortage issues that drive up their prices in the same way just about everything else has.

I’m looking at getting a new printer for home. Any recommendations, I did some research, and every time I landed on what I thought was a decent choice the recent reviews and restrictions reared their ugly head. An HP wouldn’t work unless you subscribed to their service and another had a firmware update where you couldn’t use cheaper toner from other manufacturers.

What sort of features are you looking for, and what do you consider cheap?

I’m using a Canon MF644cdw, which is a color laser printer with feeder scanning/flatbed scanning/faxing capabilities. It’s about $200 on sale, and has been incredibly reliable for the last few years. It’s pretty good sized, though, if you’re looking for something cute and portable you should look elsewhere.

Brother laser. Brother or Epson inktank models.

Up to $400 is what I would want to spend on a home printer. It doesn’t get a ton of use but is consistent. I’m looking for something that doesn’t produce fuzzy lines or streaking and has mostly affordable toner. Has to do color, doesn’t have to do photos.

A Canon similar to mine, or one of the little Brothers (esp. if you don’t need to do a lot of scanning) would do you just fine. I’ve had mixed experiences with the Canon on toner – some of the non-Canon toners are shit, others are fine.

I used to support a small office where they had nothing but Brother printers, and those things work great right up until they die – and then they’re cheap to replace.

I have a Canon LBP622cdw that is a great color laser and was pretty inexpensive. Really happy with it, and the wireless support works great across all my computers and devices.

My mom and stepdad have a couple of HP printers and I’ve seriously considered buying them a couple of Canons to replace them because I’m so tired of supporting HP’s horrible UX.

Canon’s even encouraging its customers to ignore its DRM right now with the chip shortage.

I ended up getting a Canon G3260 which is one of those ecotank types. And I’ve been quite happy with it so far. I’m a kindergarten teacher so i use it fairly regularly for printing stuff that requires colour. I’ve printed some photos, again for the classroom so i haven’t been super concerned about quality. The ink tank levels don’t appear to have changed at all!

I got a brother color laser about a year ago and I’m super happy. I had to replace the black toner recently and bought some random generic on Amazon and it went in fine. Brother warned me it wasn’t genuine but happily went on printing afterwards anyway.

Thanks, guys. I ended up going with a Canon Inktank that I got for a screaming deal. I hope there are not any hidden issues with it and it isn’t a hassle. There seem to be some users who have issues with the wifi and such, but I’m comfortable I’ll be able to troubleshoot or figure out it is garbage fast enough for a refund.

Interest development