Identity Politics

I know you aren’t, but that doesn’t mean the concept of being born racist, homophobic, transphobic, misogynist and never being able to say you are not isn’t trending the moment.

Oprahs handbag incident was an outlier, this does not define her every day life. Luxury/HNW businesses are extremely diverse and multicultural because of globalisation and their client base are now from emerging economies. Relying on old, white money is a foolish business plan.

Only that someone didn’t know who fucking Oprah was. And racism itself is foolish, but yet here we are. I mean logically, you’re correct, but there isn’t a whole lot of logic involved in the process.

I’m saying if every white person is racist then it would drive interactions with their non white peers.

It isn’t the case. Every white person I interact with is not racist. Racsim isn’t inherent in white DNA and white culture.

It does. The thing is, everyone is slightly racist.

As far as that, trust me as a straight white guy when I say a whooooole shitload of people are a lot more racist than you’re likely to ever see. A large chunk of the American populace thinks everyone is secretly racist and we’re all just “playing along” because of PC Culture. Get them alone with another white guy and they’ll love to talk about it.

Yup, that must be the case, as your black president proves. When given the opportunity to act anonymously they didn’t vote for the black guy because the majority are secretly racist.

“Not all white people” is just an extension of “not all men”. It’s absolute nonsense.

I think racism and tribalism are human instincts to be suppressed and overcome. Fortunately I think the majority of people in our society have managed to do this, but it does take an educational effort and general social agreement that racism and tribalism are negatives.

A majority of white people did not, in fact, vote for him.

He won, in part, to overwhelming support from minority communities.

I still don’t see any evidence this is a universal catch all theory. All white Singaporeans are all racist against all Indian and Malay Singaporeans? All Arabs are racist against all blacks? All latin Chileans are racist against all indigenous Chileans?

There isn’t an element of “all” in any of this.

I mean you could read the article of the dozens of others like it.

Subconscious bias of their sample is not proof of white toxicity as a universal concept.

Everyday Feminism runs white toxicity courses where you can purge your inherent racism. This is cult level shit. Join us! Remove your thetans! Everyone is riddled with thetans!

and the concept applies to all identities i.e. All Thai men are born transphobic.

My beef with this is driven by how it applies to my circle and my interests. i.e It being applied to non-whites, from non-white cultures. The moment this touches on anything outside the US and perhaps Europe vast sections of it break, and not just break, are ridiculous.

Well the linked study isn’t being “applied” to anything beyond it’s subject matter so it is not clear what you are going off the rails about here.

It is unclear, though, what you are trying to say here though; that tribalism does not exist outside of white/us/european cultures? Can you expand on that or clarify what you mean if I have misunderstood?

All he is saying is that humans appear to have an unconscious or semi-conscious bias that is built into them; at least based on the scientific data on hand today. People are more likely to trust people who look and act like themselves and less likely to trust persons who do not.

Now we’re also sentient beings, as as such can make intellectual decisions that override our “baser” instincts. The fact that a growing proportion of our species routinely overcomes these tendencies doesn’t mean that they are not present.

I voted for Obama twice and have no problem working for a boss who is not of my ethnicity. But I will still admit to feeling and even thinking blatantly racist things every once in a while. If my daughter brought home an African-American boyfriend from college, I’m fairly sure my first feeling would be some mixture of disappointment and fear. BUT, because I actually have a fore-brain that overrides my hind-brain, I am confident that I would quickly tamp those down and replace then with the default emotions that I have for any of my daughter’s boyfriends: distrust and annoyance.

I’m saying racism, tribalism, xenophobia, transphobia, homophobia, bigotry etc etc dont exist, I’m saying the solution to stopping them is not based around privilege, appropriation, cultural relativism or occidentalism and all the trappings of identity politics, which I say are making things worse.

I blame Brexit partly on backlash against identity politics.
I blame the rise of Trump partly due to the backlash against identity politics.
I blame increasing racism on the lack of a solution based on identity politics.
I blame identity politics on the increasing balkanisation of society, and the move away from egalitarian ideals.

This is railing against the solution, not the problem.

It’s possible to believe that everyone has an inherent tendency towards racial bias (I mean, it’s really just an extension of availability bias - humans tend to expect the behaviors they are primed to expect, and are quite sensitive to differences between groups), and also believe that there is no weird holistic cure for that bias. The “cure” is to be aware that it’s a thing, and try to identify it in yourself when it occurs. By pointing out when others do it, you become better-primed to recognize it, and hopefully better-able to adjust for it in your own thinking (and perhaps they also become more aware). That doesn’t mean you have to point it out every second, but it also doesn’t mean it should be dismissed as meaningless because some of the white people voted for Obama.

A woman should be able to walk into an expensive store and ask to see an expensive purse without the auto-assumption she can’t afford it no matter what race she is.

No one is born this way. They do learn it very early on. I was 5/6 when I encountered another child who told me if i touched something of his i would dirty it because I was black.

The best thing about this statement is that you acknowledge it. You can spend entire semesters and years arguing about what the initial reaction happens but admitting the reaction is the first step to trying to address it.

The biggest issue I have with PWK POV is… as long as you keep claiming I didn’t exist, you don’t have to address it. That’s the approach a number of Trump supporters take. If they can convince the world racism isn’t a thing, and their anger isn’t linked to it they don’t have to address it.

Without a doubt, but him saying it was an outlier is off. The only thing that was an outlier in your example is that someone didn’t recognize Oprah, imo. I know it’s a common occurrence for people. He was saying businesses wont be racist because it’s bad for business, I was countering that it doesn’t matter because racism is shitty and you can’t use logic to explain it.

Sorry if it came off strangely.

I just misunderstood. You’re right if you meant it probably happens all the time and the reason this made news was it’s Oprah. I doubt if i walked into that store I would have any more success. I could buy that purse but being not ultra rich, I just wouldn’t. I don’t see a valid reason for them to assume I couldn’t though. Like I mentioned above, I can pay cash for at one of these furniture stores… but I can’t get service unless i make a stink or bring my dad (he’s white).

Unlike Trump, sometimes my words are not the best.

Oh I am sure your words are fine. This is not the first time here I’ve misunderstood what someone has said nor will it be the last. My life experiences and tendencies just makes me assume certain things or just miss important pieces when others might not do the same.

Well, that’s true of everyone and I was writing late while tired, so I’m sure I bear some of the blame.