Identity Politics

The definition of white entitlement right here: Maine Governor Paul LePage wants John Lewis to thank Republicans for ending slavery. Because clearly white people need to be thanked for deigning to grant others basic human rights.

I’m pretty sure that’s representative of right-wing GOP douchebaggery rather than all Caucasians.

LePage isn’t even representative of bigots. He’s pretty much an embarrassment to all groups that he can claim membership of, down and perhaps even lower than Vertebrata.

Still, I’d be fascinated to see the theory that joins up LePages petulant political tribalism and childish remarks about the inauguration to the Sami People of Finland.

Assignment for a mandatory “faculty training” course someone close to me is taking: read the following and tell us where you might have committed a microaggression. http://academicaffairs.ucsc.edu/events/documents/Microaggressions_Examples_Arial_2014_11_12.pdf

Public response: “Well, some of the studies I’ve done only had boxes for male and female for the participants to check off…I promise to do better in future”

Private response: FUCK THIS SHIT

Macroaggression

I’d say that 80% of those microaggressions are legitimate things to avoid saying/doing. The term is stupid, though.

Yeah, this. I mean, I get that people get triggered by being asked to treat others with respect, but university can’t be one big safe space.

(I still eyeroll a bit at the expectation of bending over backwards to accommodate non-traditional gender/sexual identities, but I pretty much limit it to an eyeroll and figure it’s not hurting anyone except for snowflakes like me.)

Yeah, what does it mean when the word “microaggression” triggers me? What does that make me? I’m having an existential crisis here.

Also, reading Malathor’s link, I would have to agree to a hearty “fuck that” on calling America a melting pot being a microaggression. Jesus.

Too old for this shit.

Thanks, Wallapuctus. The Murtaugh Defense it is.

Yea there’s a big difference in those ranging from the head smacking obvious “don’t scream in horror when you pass a minority” to the super obscure “breaking eye contact with me when I tell you I’m into BSDM”. But most of those listed are apparently for the new generation that has no filters or baked in propriety and should be effortless if not even an a real issue at all for anyone over 35. I mean I’m pretty sure gen-x’ers don’t clutch their purses when they see a black person, but what do I know.

What’s deceptively clever about that list is they take a list of helpful tips to avoid hurtful behavior (hey, some people are still oblivious, so that’s fair) but then they sneak in concepts that are still up for debate, such as the long-term wisdom of multi-culturalism or affirmative action.

They’re the dominant progressive ideals right now, but there’s still enough legitimate philosophical resistance to them (relative to extremes like assuming Asian people are good at math) that it’s manipulative to pretend like they are solved issues. So not only are you wrong to suggest otherwise, but you’re also awful for hurting someone.

Very tricky.

You really are talking about the edgiest of edge cases here.

Nearly all trans folks are happy with identifying as their preferred gender.

To me: Yes/No/Neither or prefer not to say would be sufficient.

One big reason the younger generation is using triggered all the time is due to a backlash against over-political correctness. I don’t think they’re wanting to be hurtful, but if you get past a certain point, they think you’re hurting others and that you’re the one who is the problem.

It’s a big reason why Hillary was super-unpopular among millenials- they saw her as overly PC.

What? First I’m not sure if that’s true at all - millennials voted more for Hillary by far over all. And second surely it was economic issues not cultural ones that drive millennials to Bernie.

When even my super liberal college educated PC daughter laughs at some of the “microaggressions” out there today it is no wonder that people with no connection to that train of thought think all those who do believe in them are crazy.

That part is untrue - Bernie won the vote under 30, he lost the old people vote.

He even won minorities under 30.

Millenials are economics first- that’s true, but they also are more moderate on social issues. (not conservative, but some degree of libertarian)

I split the elections - millennials voted for Hillary not Trump, but did support Bernie in the primary. But his support was not because of PC run rampant, and they didn’t defect from Hillary because of PC issues.

Surely not, I’m pretty sure a lot of them just use smartphones these days. Besides, while Hillary did have the whole email thing going on, I’m not sure what kind of tech support millennials could expect from a 70-year old candidates anyway.

Yep, Bernie lost the over-30 minority vote hard, mostly because of the Black Church and their ties to Clinton, the Hispanic vote was fairly even.

I have doubts they’d vote for a non-Clinton with similar positions the way they voted for Hillary.
It was the legacy of Bill’s patronage and his core base coming out for Hillary.