Identity Politics

For the record, the advice about reconnecting with unions is probably 20 years (at least) out of date now with the rise of automation, though I guess it might steal a few elections before reality sets in.

The rest of it would be a refreshing change. I may disagree with his naked desire to reach into my pocketbook, but at least he wants to find some common ground with me.

Robots need unions, too!

The fight back against bullies begins.

That type of bullshit is incredibly bad… where folks have internalized this absolutely bullshit idea that the very notion of rational discourse itself is somehow racist.

It was originally perpetuated by some black professor somewhere, I forget where, under some school of thought which effectively avoided having their statements make any sense or have any basis in reality, by suggestion rationality itself was bad. That subjective emotional experience was just as legitimate as concrete objective fact.

And it’s fucking bullshit. If your position can’t be supported rationally, it’s not because rationality is bad. It’s because your position is fucking bad. But that admission would require them to re-evaluate their beliefs, and maybe admit being wrong, or even worse take responsibility for bad things.

Fuck that bullshit, and fuck those imbeciles that push it. They’re the same as the far right lunatics who reject objective reality. They are exactly the same.

I don’t understand why students who disrupt classrooms aren’t simply dismissed from the college. If you are not there to learn then leave and make room for those that are.

And I can’t imagine how anyone with those kind of beliefs is going to be able to function in a normal workplace after they graduate.

I agree… if you actually disrupt a class, then you need to be punished, or expelled.

The administrators are weak. It’s kind of like raising an unruly child. They’ve coddled the behavior, and now they’re stuck with them.

There is also the fact that if you kick the kid out of school you’re foregoing the tens of thousands of dollars a year that they are paying you…

Well, most of them (faculty and students) are now eating the shit sandwich they made with their own fair hands. I liked it when the latino professor was told her PTSD was racist against black people. Heh what a fucking joke the whole thing is even since the beginning of this thread.

Anyway, they birthed it, they can bury it.

Pity for those that didn’t though.

I would bet there are others waiting in line to pay the school that money.

The following Fall, yeah, probably. I suspect they’d probably still see a loss of revenue on a booted student… possibly even a full semester’s worth of tuition and housing money if they kicked him or her out before the Spring semester starts.

I would presume that if you’re ejected from the school, the student would probably not get back any money from the school for the already-paid-for classes.

I wouldn’t wish this kind of bullying on my worst enemy, but I won’t really shed a tear either. Not my problem, and I’m confident that by the time my kids reach college that identity politics will be swept into the dustbin of history.

Over here peak identity politics is trans people beating up old feminist women.

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2017/09/17/woman-beaten-as-trans-exclusionary-radical-feminists-and-trans-activists-fight-in-speakers-corner/

There’s a difference between saying feelings and experiences influence actions and God influences actions.

Radiolab had an episode not too long ago about a Palestinian American man running for office in New York City. Very interesting story about identity politics from a bit of an unusual direction. Turns out to be about voter suppression, too.

Back to the more usual black-and-white theme of identity politics - I thought this was a well-written article on the subject of whites feeling discriminated against.

I think that’s pretty insightful, especially the bit about the difference in economic status.

TERF’s aren’t exactly a good thing. I say this as someone who is really close to some transfolk.

The whole white people feeling there is racism against them, I used to think that 15-20 years ago. This is why I believe that Bernie’s economic populism is the best way to raise the tide for everyone- the only way to do real improvements to the racial situation in America comes in time where the lower and middle classes across the board are doing better. The identity politics method is just going to replace one bigotry with another, or lead to more Trumps as white folks start doing identity politics (The Republican party is now primarily a white identity politics party with a residue of Koch Bros-crap that is going to fade away when someone smarter takes over)

We have to tackle wealth inequality first in order to have any chance to improve the racial situation. LGBT issues are different because white LGBT can pass as white, which makes it a lot more palatable to white America.

If inequality is not tackled, it is quite possible that we’d see a scenario where reverse racism does happen when the country votes majority-minority, and that would trigger a disaster (you’d see massive violence on a scale not seen since the Civil War)

They havent enacted or enforced any anti-trans legislation, they havent done anything much than think differently on gender theory.

I have yet to see anything from radfem other than discussion papers (seeing many are women and gender studies academics) blogs and socmedia.

They are literally being punched in the face for thought crimes with the reasoning that punching old women in the face is social justice.

The rest of us are being told to take a side and decide which minority is higher on the progressive stack and demonise the other side and im quite happy to call out the side punching old women in the face…

She’s making the rounds again.

I don’t recall this being discussed in the thread, so I’m behind the curve on this one.

Humorously enough, there’s a thread with this exact title:

This is…not enough. You seem to be asserting stuff while at the same time standing beside the assertion, gazing at it with surprise and curiosity as if you’ve never seen it before. If you think that identity politics is new, point to the non-identity politics era.