If Republicans hold after midterms?

I’m just curious, with all of this talk about how many seats the GOP will lose during these midterm elections, what everyones’ reactions would be to the news that the GOP had held or gained seats during the midterm elections.

Would people start to seriously suspect fraud in light of the President’s self assured public comments? If exit polls were drastically off around many contested elections? If Diebold machines at the heart of a contested district created unverifiable results that were dramatically unexpected and unpredicted?

I’m not just saying “would you feel like something bad happened”, i’m asking what would you actually DO. Just post about how you were upset on message boards? Investigate with extreme thoroughness on the 'net to see if the results were realistic or feasible? Go marching on Washington? Skip work and play games for a month?

I’m not sure what I would do. Probably be wide-eyed and open-mouthed for a few minutes, and then start looking into anything that might point to fraud. Being a simple game programmer, I don’t necessarily have the resources to mount an investigation or sue the government, but I would do my best to at least make the people around me aware, if it does turn out to be malicious. Marching on Washington wouldn’t be a bad idea, if I could get a couple (unlikely) days off from work.

That’s not to say it will be malicious. Polls have been wrong before. But the past 6 years have made me very wary of elections.

First, it’s highly unlikely at this point.

But if so, questions of election tampering would certainly come up.

But there would also be an increased focus on how the Republican party is far ahead of the Democratic party when it comes to microtargeting. And to be honest, if Republicans do “win” (i.e. hold on by the skin of their teeth) it will be because they are far better at microtargeting than the left is.

Also, there would be a Democratic bloodletting the likes not seen in some time. Dean would be crucified.

I’d really suspect massive fraud. The polls are absolutely horrible for the GOP on every angle, including expected turnout. I can’t imagine how you’d explain it otherwise.

Unlikely?

I was referring specifically to a straight Republican win, i.e. holding on to power. As I mentioned, if they do “win” many election protection questions will be asked.

But, also as mentioned, it will be noted that Republicans are light years ahead of Democrats when it comes to microtargting. And it was microtargeting that secured their win in 2004. If no cheating occurs and they win in 2006… it will also explain that outcome, I’m afraid.

Give me liberty or give me overtime!

http://online.barrons.com/public/article/SB116138396438799484-uMRQ4ejl3lonVnJ_TXy6k9fPXls_20061121.html?mod=9_0002_b_free_features

I don’t get paid overtime. And if I lost my job, it really would be “liberty or death.”

Buy automatic weapons and join a march on D.C. while waving them around screaming “Thanks for the guns!”

I saw that last week and laughed quite a bit.

We studied every single race – all 435 House seats and 33 in the Senate – and based our predictions about the outcome in almost every race on which candidate had the largest campaign war chest, a sign of superior grass-roots support. We ignore the polls. Thus, our conclusions about individual races often differ from the conventional wisdom. Pollsters, for instance, have upstate New York Republican Rep. Tom Reynolds trailing Democratic challenger Jack Davis, who owns a manufacturing plant. But Reynolds raised $3.3 million in campaign contributions versus $1.6 million for Davis, so we score him the winner.

Vulgar campaign finance! Which is funnier - all you need is money, or campaign money is “grassroots support”?

Wow, that Barrons article was perhaps the most unintentionally cynical thing I’ve read in a long time. It just kills me that they are probably right, though.

Hahahaha.

“Now teach us how to use them.”

I think I’d rather see the Republicans hold. I’d rather see the Republicans resolve the issues left behind by the previous administration. I believe the Democrats can resolve them. However, by the time they finished making all the tough choices and necessary hard calls I could see the Republicans would come back and sweep them out of office (again).

I would definitely believe a nationwide fraud conspiracy over inaccurate polling. Must more plausible.

Bush also engineered 9/11.

Fixed that for you.

I posted exactly what Jason said and somehow my input is less meaningful?

Interesting!

I didn’t say Bush was behind 9/11.