If you could have a game based on a book

I would like to see a CRPG set in Stephenson’s the Diamond Age or Mieville’s New Crobuzon.

mnova

It could be a Turing test/IF game in which you tell fantasticly epic lies to detect if the person on the other end is an AI.

I think an RTS set in Harry Turtledove’s Worldwar series would be pretty cool. Humans have a ton of weak units, but can gradually improve them over time, while the Race has a few units and no research tree, but everything they have is uber.

Also, while it’s not enough for a full game, exactly, I’d like to see a COD4 mod that recreates the Battle of Yonkers from World War Z.

We already wrote that game back in 1997 - Counterfeit Hunter. It was an MMO in which you had to find the other humans in a sea of characters - humans who were acting like A.I. to blend in - and kill them.

So many to choose from:

An MMO or RPG in the Dark Tower Universe(s)

An RPG based on the Chinese classic Journey to the West

(I’m sure it’s probably already been done in some form in Japan. The Monkey King is just too popular.)

MMO in the Snow Crash Universe

A multi-player strategy game based off Robert Anton Wilson’s Illuminatus Trilogy.

An open world/sandbox 3rd person shooter based on Naming and Necessity by Saul Kripke.

That sounds pretty cool, actually. So in the MAoE game, you could go on and on about the true furry lobster, or just list hobo names until the AI crashed.

Ooo, that would be wicked!

I’d like to see a well-made Clive Barker game based on Weaveworld or Imajica. I envision it maybe happening as an RPG/FPS hybrid.

Pride and Prejudice
Japanese-style dating sim.

I’d love to see something like this. Either as a squad based Tactical RPG, or as SwampIrish mentioned: a Total War game set in the Ice and Fire universe. Total War: Westeros could very well ruin my social life.

I think that an RPG set in Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere could also make for a great game.

Alright, I laughed.

It’s been a long time since I’ve read the book but I remember thinking that a game set in Orson Scott Card’s Treason universe would be interesting. There are plenty of factions, each with their own unique skills and abilities. Plus, Bullet Time!

Yeah, a 4x game based on the Uplift Universe would probably be at the top of my list. Maybe throw in some of the StarCon 2 meandering about space, meeting different races aspect, instead of a straight GalCiv2 mod.

Yes! This is perfect as stated.

This was the first series I thought of, though I’d probably make the game more like Crusader Kings.

And this was the second series I thought of, but I think it is particularly well-suited to CoD4-style multiplayer FPS with progression. Or maybe a more elaborate MMO. Obviously, it would be good to have more complex motivations than just shooting people or capturing points, and more complex skills than pulling the pin on a grenade before you bite it, or aiming well.

Other things I’d like to see:

There’s at least 3 different games based on Ender’s Game that I’d like - a battle room game, a game based on The Game that the kids play on their “desks”, and a fully-fledged battle school RPG, where you can end up commanding an army, making player trades, etc.

Robin Hobb’s Farseer Trilogy has a bunch of really cool mythology that would be interesting to explore. I think Elder Scrolls-style would probably be best for this.

I was gonna say The Dresden Files series myself, but this will do as well. I’d also love to see the Hyperion series by Don Simmons made into some kind of game.

That would ROCK!

I wouldn’t mind seeing an RPG set in the Labyrinth of Weis & Hickman’s DeathGate books. I think it’d be an interesting setting.

I’d like a game based on the Old Testament where you get to play ‘vengeful God’ and commit atrocities. But they’d be “good” atrocities, because you’re God and can get away with it.

Shit, make it an FPS. You’re God’s agent on earth carrying out His will. Travel through Egypt doing stealth action and murdering children in their sleep. Raze Sodom and Gamorreah, killing everyone in your path. It’d be great and you could even get the church on your side!

Richard Morgan likes Max Payne a lot.

I’d probably be the only person in the universe to play this, but Vernor Vinge’s A Fire Upon the Deep – specifically, an RPG set in the Tines’ world. Your “character” is a hive-mind pack of 6 or so dogs. Each dog has its own individual health, attack, whatever, but each also adds certain traits to the hive-mind supercharacter. Losing a dog in battle is permanent, but you can pick up stragglers with new traits…tactical battles involve protecting specific pack members (I can’t lose that +50 Intellect Siberian Husky with the Natural Diplomat trait!). Great setting, too: pseudo-medieval with distinct territorial cultures, shaken up by the sudden intrusion of advanced alien technology.

-sean

I’d love A Confederacy of Dunces. A WarioWare-type game would fit the bill nicely.

Or even better, a game based on Nabakov’s Pale Fire.

You are a (non sarcastically meant) genius! Great books, great setting, and a great game play mechanic.