If you live in your car - should you have 5 pitbulls living with you?

Brilliant. Can’t afford rent or gas, but they can somehow support 5 adult pitbulls… and the dogs all live with them in their car… and of course the dogs end up attacking people.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_story.aspx?storyid=109456&catid=14

Highlights:

Kentwood Police say the owners of the dogs had been living in their SUV. They were visiting friends at Eastland Apartments Saturday night, when they ran out of gas…

when the father, 53-year-old Floyd “Al” Griffin got there, he walked up to the SUV and the five dogs began fighting in the car. One of them managed to escape and attacked Griffin.

“J got her armed tore up she’s at Blodgett and Chris got his arm also pretty much tore up. Rudy the really violent one got out of the car and came around and attacked me. I took a pretty big cut, but my son he can’t move his fingers very good right now so he might be in worse shape and J couldn’t move her hand at all.”

Kinda funny how many votes there are for euthanization, when most of the people on this forum are all die hard human rights and “wahh wahh the 85 year old granny didn’t deserve to get tazered.”

A vote for euthanization is serious business, people.

Well, there was no option for sterilization, to put an end to that gene line.

Of course, you are assuming that everyone on the internet is serious and means 100% what they say.

I’d rather euthanize the stupid owners than the dogs, but sadly the dogs are gonna have to die here.

I don’t see why I have to stop with the owners. Can’t we euthanize everyone?

I vote to stake myself.

It’s less awful than chaining them to a tree in the yard.

I think the first problem here is, oh, LIVING IN YOUR CAR though. Fucking underfunded social services.

Who says they don’t have options? There are open shelters around that rarely fill up each night but there are still people sleeping on the streets.

Blaming it on a lack of funded social programs seems premature in this case.

Are you sure that there are shelters there that don’t fill up at night? The shelters here in Raleigh fill up every single night, usually by 6pm, if I recall correctly.

I’m not sure since I don’t live in Kentwood, MI. But my point is more that in general we don’t know what options these folks had and didn’t have. Saying that they were living in their car because of underfunded social services assumes they a) didn’t have other options to pursue (like staying with family,etc.) and b) that they actually tried to use whatever social services were available to them.

I’m guessing that having five pitbulls and not wanting to give them up may have been a factor in limiting what options these folks had. And even well-funded social programs don’t (and perhaps shouldn’t) take responsibility for pets. But that is a different debate and one, that like this thread, should probably be in P&R.

What’s so bad about living in your car? My dad did that for a while and he turned out okay.

This story comes as a nice counter point for me after having recently viewed Wendy and Lucy.

No sh1t b0nerz?

Reported.

Shelters won’t take pets. Pets like 5 aggressive pitbulls.

I wonder why?

Shelters around here won’t take pets at all because they are overwhelmed with homeless pets due to the recession. I bet the pit rescue groups are too.

Let this be a lesson to young poor kids not to start a family of 5 pitbulls until they are financially stable.

What’s so bad about living in your car? My dad did that for a while and he turned out okay.

Did your Dad have 5 pitbulls with him?

I’m guessing that having five pitbulls and not wanting to give them up may have been a factor in limiting what options these folks had. And even well-funded social programs don’t (and perhaps shouldn’t) take responsibility for pets. But that is a different debate and one, that like this thread, should probably be in P&R.

If only there was some hypothetical way they could keep dogs and not live in their car. Aaah, America.

Sorry, but what are you talking about? Are you saying the state should provide free housing for this couple and their 5 aggressive pitbulls? Why the “Ahhh, America” sigh?