If you live to be 100 will gaming still be enjoyable?

If you were able to keep your mind just half-way intact? I hope so. Not sure the body, fingers, wrists, or eyeballs will play along.

Devil May Cry 6 in 2081. Get hype.

Being an old, retired guy, my quick answer is yes. I like games as much as ever, and actually have more time to play them. And one of the tragedies of living to be very old is losing a lot of the people you used to do things with, so computer gaming that can be played single player – it sounds custom made for the elderly.

However… market forces. I find that the older I get, the less my tastes align with the largest gaming demographics. Mouse clicking as weaponry comes to feel kind of ludicrous. And to the extent that I can get past that and immerse myself in the game, I find myself looking at the dead and wondering if they had wives and children. :) Killing stuff definitely feels less satisfying, especially as an end in itself. So… I wonder how many games will be coming out that I actually like. So I guess it depends upon the directions that gaming goes.

Hell, I’m 33 and my tastes bear only the vaguest resemblance to mainstream gaming. There are exceptions, but the types of deep strategic games I love are hardly mainstream like CoD is.

Yes. No doubt. If I live that long I hope also to be making them too.

I’ve been playing games for 40 years, so no reason to suppose I might not play them for another 57. But who knows?

I’m hoping that gaming will be one of those things that helps my mind stay strong. My grandmother spent the last years of her life at a window watching the world go by. After my grandfather died. I honestly believe that if she had something like video games, her mind would not have deteriorated so quickly.

I would think that I would. I mean, I would have to change fairly drastically to not enjoy gaming at all. I remember back to being a small child and seeing stuff like Space Invaders and Pong, then Pac Man and Donkey Kong, just being enchanted. I wasted so many quarters in the arcades back in the day. Then when I could get those things in my own home, I started with an Atari 2600, traded up to a Colecovision, then went sort of sideways into personal computing with a TI-99/4A, then TRS-80, then C-64 and ultimately the big bad MS-DOS PC. I’ve played and enjoyed at least something from about every genre, though my involvement has slowed down at times it’s never gone away. I think I’ll always be playing games.

If I live to 100, gaming will probably be the only thing that’s still enjoyable.

Couldn’t agree more. How old are you?

Yes. Because I know I’ll be very close to finishing Skyrim.

I’ll probably still be playing Contra.

Heroin never gets old

I’ll be running the net full time

At 100 it will be more enjoyable and there will be even longer gaming sessions since we will all probably be wearing adult diapers.

Will need new interfaces to get around the arthritis and presbyopia, but those will probably be true.

I would hope so, although the carpal tunnel may have kicked in by then. But I am almost 2/3rds of the way there and still going strong.

I would love to be fighting Smough and Ornstein at 100.

Hopefully they’ll be older too :(

Hasn’t science shown that playing computer games helps fight off dementia or alzheimers?

I don’t remember which. :)