I'm bored of TF2

Almost my only criticism of TF2 when I reviewed it was that the Medic wasn’t /quite/ fun enough to encourage enough people to play as him. He’s easy to score well with, and being important to your team is fun in itself, but he needs just slightly more visceral payoff for the work. A fair few people rushed to its defense, but I still don’t see quite enough Medics on most servers, or fancy doing the job myself.

It’s still better than every other game ever made, though.

Not yet… Aside from the 32player hack, there isn’t much in the way of mods for TF2, besides server administration stuff. I know the guy that made sillyzone TFC is already at work on TF2, so I think given enough time, we’ll see radar, spy eavesdropping, air-strikes, missile launchers, anti-missile launchers, jet-packs, freeze-throwers, and the bazillion other useless goodies that were added to TFC. (MegaTF 4evaz)

Maybe you should try TF2 on the 360.

Obligatory PA strip, because you can never have too many (if only for all the people it riles up):

To be fair, the only people that particular PA strip is going to rile up are idiots.

I would, but I don’t have a TV… or a couch… or a 360.

Edit: Actually, I still wouldn’t. Why would you even suggest that?

Sure, right after I replace my girlfriend with a rubber doll.

I mean, from a distance it vaguely looks the same, right?

Wow, is it time for the backlash threads already?

I was pretty bored with it from the beginning, and it’s really hard for me to see what all the fuss is about. It’s a tight team shooter, not the second coming.

For anyone skimming, you can skip over this post, it’s another “The Problem with TF2 is Other People” rant, but I feel like complaining.

My biggest problem is knowing what’s wrong but not being able to do anything about it. I feel like there are some pretty “Well, duh, of course we need more <whatever class>” moments in a lot of games that other people just don’t get. For example, we’re on an all offense map or round and we have no scouts and four engineers building turrets way back near our spawn. There’s an inherent low-level frustration “You guys are dumb” that is par for the course that I can sort of live with, but specific situations, like this example, are incredibly more frustrating because I’m a really lousy scout.

Most of the time I have no problem stepping up and addressing a deficiency in the team, but I feel so helpless when the deficiency is a class I’m terrible at. I’d love to run around as a pyro or soldier most of the time, but hey, need a sniper or an engineer or something? No problem. Need a scout? Argh. I’m sort of a bad medic too, in that I don’t have a good handle on Ubering strategies. I know how to heal and stay out of harm’s way, but I’m bad at knowing the right moment to use that uber.

Maybe the maps could have assigned “class mixes” for each side, picked by the designers for fun, dynamic, balanced play on that particular map? And then rather than letting people choose their own class, you would just get randomly assigned to one of the “open slots” when you join in?

As a mod to TF2, I could see that working. If you mean that the whole game should be like that, it would have failed. Hard.

Still woulda sold a shit-ton of copies thanks to the Orange Box, but no one would be playing it.

I 100% agree with the sentiments regarding medics.

Fucking. Boring. As. Shit.

I just got the game today and I’m already seeing what you guys mean about medics. They could have done a better job with the class. The Enemy Territory medic is not boring to play at all because you don’t just stand there and heal, you are fighting most of the time.

Well I think the problem is not that the medic just stands around healing, but that the healing mechanic itself is so fucking boring. Hi, I’m going to stand here holding down the fire button. For the entire round. This is fun, right? RIGHT?!

If you see a deficiency and don’t care for that class, you could ask your teammates if anyone else will fill the role. As for when to use ubers, the person you’re charging usually has a pretty good idea of when he wants you to use it.

People in tf2 are pretty understanding and helpful from what I’ve seen (360 version). The other day I went into a game, saw that my team had no engineers and said to no one in particular “I think we could use an engineer,” and 30 seconds later there was one

I’m enjoying it more and more…the better servers with people talking strategy, the more I play, the more I get to know the maps and find new strategies for each of the classes…I’ve played about 12 hours and I’m just getting more and more into it. I’ll never play it as much as I played Raven Shield (over 1000 hours easily) but it’s getting more enjoyable as i go along.

Yeah, this is partly my fault for not bothering to ask that often I guess. It’s more of a hassle since I don’t have a mic on my PC. Ultimately, you’ve still got to have players willing to switch though, and in the situations where no one’s listening, it’s just so frustrating to be willing but ineffective.

Mm, I tend to switch frequently. Most of the time I’m happy to take over whatever role is needed, but every now and then one run will cause me to find a bottleneck - maybe a turret with an engineer hiding behind it, maybe a really good sniper - and my immediate objective becomes sorting out said bottleneck.

Asking does work, though, assuming the server isn’t populated with asshats.

That was directed at Jakub since this is his 2nd random TF2 thread.