I'm creating an animation studio today

Wow? That’s cool. Do you know that guy? Don’t have time to look him up now but that’s exactly the kind of guy I want working for me.

Haha! Had dinner yesterday with a guy who works in Disney animation in Burbank. He was wearing (see that other message) a Hawaiin shirt, shorts, and flip-flops. Now, admittedly, we were at his home for barbeque and boardgames (Argent: the Consortium)…

Edit in: just so I don’t give the wrong idea, I’d go with business casual.

First, congrats.
Second, Are you hiring?
Third, What’s the restaurant. I would say a if it’s a lunch meeting LA casual is fine. Jeans or slacks with a button down. What is going to make you feel both professional and comfortable. LA is pretty light on the dress code.

I’m thinking business casual is the way to go go the lunch. No sneakers, no jeans, but no tie is reasonable as well. There are almost zero restaurants with any kind of dress code in the area. The executives will probably be in suit and tie, but I doubt there is any expectation that you do the same.

Thanks man.
Are you in LA? What’s your field?

I do not. But I suspect between his family and his post-doc work, you’ll have to settle for a vague longing ;-)

And now I’m led to wonder… has LG ever been mentioned in the webcomics thread?

Huge grats on following your dream man. Wish I lived near ya, I’d help out in a heartbeat and have tons of free time. :(

Holy crap it’s 5 AM.

Tonight I was thinking a bit and realized that I have invented the AI that will create animated content without human input. That’s pretty interesting right?

Damn I should actually clarify then. The news desk is two people, a liberal woman and a conservative guy. This part is like the Daily Show. The other layer is that we see them in their normal life (but mostly at work) walking around the studio and such. Maybe like Newsroom or Thirty Rock. The other layer is that the station is owned by this eccentric character thats like a cross between Alec Baldwin and Rick from Rick and Morty. He’s an accomplished business man but always uses his profits from the program to fundd crazy new tech sciency projects behind the scenes in the back offices. For instance portals that open other dimensions and let Chuthulu in accidently. Of course it would have the most insane visuals ever created like we’d get to see where Chuthulu actually comes from and explore his dimension. And find out he’s kind of a loser nerd God or something funny.

Daily Show mixed with 30 Rock mixed with fanboy awesome stuff about sci-fi, tech, alien worlds, the imagination is the limit and you never know where it’s going next week. Also it would feature all the insane things around the world people have built with their LEGOs, all those crazy passion projects like 1-120th scale Death Stars. We’d go over to their house, animate all that awesome shit for them, and bring that passion to the main stage as part of likely cutaway jokes.

I’m kind of confused about how much of this is satire on real world events, how much of this is in-universe fictional narrative (playing off the satire or entirely separate?) and how much is, for want of a better word, reality TV. It seems like it would be an extremely difficult thing to get them all to sit together, particularly working on a weekly production timetable. Also it seems like it would require a huge staff, relative to the likely audience.

FWIW, I’d definitely check it out, but Adult Swim is a non-starter for me as a non-US resident.

Wouldn’t selling this to an actual network (like Cartoon Network or whatever) be tricky while actually using LEGO? Seems like the kind of gray area where maybe it’d be nice if they couldn’t stop you, but in reality WB (with their LEGO Movie rights/franchise/etc.) would stop any kind of actual “traditional” TV from touching this.

Congrats and good luck! I have no idea about Hollywood/LA, but i look forward to hearing about your adventures there.

Wholly, disagree with your points about WB and Lego. Not to be arrogant but it’s all about framing the argument, not any kind of agreement between Lego and any company.

However, I’m not sure the Lego thing is relevant because of what I told everyone above. It’s a simple but nifty trick.

By the way Ginger made an interesting point above and I think he’s starting to get it. This effort will require thousands of animators, writers, etc to work together. I’ve invented a way to have that many people work together. Actually I have done better (last night) and figured out a way for computer algorithms to “sim” animation as if billions of animators were working for you. I’m calling it “A thousand monkeys in a room banging on typewriters” model. It’s quite near and I’m kinda proud of it.

Sorry, I skimmed a couple posts, I might have missed something, but what simple but nifty trick are we talking about?

ElGuapo, you’re starting to sound like a manic mad genius. I can’t tell if it’s crazy optimism, the LA-brand insanity rubbing off on you, or if you really have engineered the Next Big Thing. Hope it’s the latter!

To clarify my concerns, in the media, LEGO is no longer just a medium.

If you want to do a stop-motion skit making fun of Star Wars, and you make Luke Skywalker out of clay, great. That’s satire, or whatever. But if you just used the actual Star Wars LEGO Luke Skywalker figure, I’m guessing you’re going to meet resistance or wariness from whoever you’re approaching because Luke Skywalker, the LEGO figure, is already a specific thing that has its own videos and merchandise, and someone will probably try to crush anything confusing that branding.

And now that The LEGO Movie is also a commercial success, I suspect any LEGO minifigure as a character would face the same problems; WB wouldn’t want anyone thinking your show has anything to do with their LEGO movie brand.

Some of this is probably still in the parody/fair use/whatever gray area, but who would want to jump into that fight on a new venture? It’d be one thing for an established show to do a skit like this, but if I’m shopping around for something untested, why would I want to bring on that potential legal headache?

1. Idea
  2. Rough draft
  3. ???
  4. Amazingly animated content!

Hopefully it works, sounds a bit zany.

EG, can your algorithm sim joke writers, screenwriters, researchers, bookers and film crew?

You don’t need any of thise jobs anymore with this. Well, you do but demand for those jobs goes down. They become like scissor sharpener guys after cheap sissors were invented or something. The technology makes the job obsolete.

This is starting to sound suspiciously like Wumpus’s revolutionary forum software…