I'm going to be selling my gaming PC- What should I ask for?

Hi all. I thought that I would get a greater response if I posted in the gaming section, so I hope you guys don’t mind.

My computer: (I’ve only had it for 6 months)

Blue Kingwin Case w/ 3 windows. http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cst-39.html
420 Watt Enermax PS
Gigabyte GA-7VAX (KT400)- 333 fsb, 8x agp, 2.0 usb
AMD XP 2000 (1.67 ghz)
512 mb. (1 stick-3200) Corsair XMS series16x48x Samung dvd
48x24x48 TDK cdrw
120 gig WD (8 mb. cache) -7200
100 gig WD (8 mb. cache) -7200
40 gig WD -7200
Geforce 4 4200 (128mb) Gainward
Audigy X-gamer
Dell 19" Ultra Sharp LCD monitor
Logitech Z-680 (5:1, THX 450 watts)
Windows XP (Home)

The condition of these items is spotless. No scratches at all. The system looks brand new, and I’ve gamed on it for many hours without one crash. System is very stable.

So what should I ask? Is the system worth $1,500?

I’m selling my system because I’m moving back home and decided I want a gaming laptop to take to college, work, etc.

thxs all.

One question: How much of this stuff is under warranty (and how much longer is that warranty)? If the warranty is still on, $1500 is somewhat high (at least for me), but doable. If no warranty, then the price will have to go down.

You can probably get $600 to $650 for the monitor and close to $300 for the speakers. (Looking at current going rates on eBay…)

Not sure the rest is worth $500 to $600, though, given the slow CPU and the fact that $699 will get you a new 2.2GHz Dell with a 15" LCD monitor.

I’d probably break the system up – most people interested in that monitor and those speakers are going to want a more cutting-edge PC component.

Put the system up on Ebay. Have separate auctions for the system, the flat panel and the speakers.

The entire computer, other than the monitor and speakers, is worth about $150 (and that includes allocating about $50 to the WinXP license, if it’s a legit copy).

The LCD is worth less than $600 new at retail, but you can probably get pretty close to that - say $500. I think Denny’s estimate of $300 for the speaker is high - I’d guess a little more than half that.

E-bay’s a good option, although the value of your monitor might not be apparent, so doing separate auctions is probably a good idea. Total value of the system: $1,000 tops – realistically, $700-$800, although people routinely do better than they deserve on auctions, so you might get lucky.

The value of the system is going to vary widely depending on where you sell it. At the high end, I’d say the system is probably closer to $500 in value – you’ve got 3 HDs in there, a nice case, decent memory, and a decent (if not cutting edge) CPU. On ebay you’d easily pick up $500, and probably more through your local papers. From this crowd? $150 is probably about right, although someone would laugh their way home.[/quote]

I’d say $1000 is about where you’ll end up – maybe a little bit higher or lower, but not too far off.

Try selling it through local media or usenet or ebay before you stoop to selling it to Qt3ers – we’re a bunch of stingy bastards. ;)

asjunk

The LCD and speaker quotes were based on what the exact same equipment sold for on eBay in the past few weeks.

Don’t underestimate the ability of eBay people to pay just under discounted retail for used equipment. I’ve had a couple of auctions where I almost felt guilty about how much I got for the stuff.

$150 for my computer. I know that technology depreciates quickly, buy the case alone sells close to $300. And those hard drives are from Western Digital and are only 6 months old. Where the hell can I find 3 Western Digital HD’s for $150? Hell… I would have a hard time finding the video card for $100. The Enermax PS which is quality, goes for $100 at the majority of online places.

I was thinking…

Computer-=$700 or 800
LCD monitor= $500-550
Speakers= $200-250

thxs for the help guys. :D

The LCD and speaker quotes were based on what the exact same equipment sold for on eBay in the past few weeks.

Don’t underestimate the ability of eBay people to pay just under discounted retail for used equipment. I’ve had a couple of auctions where I almost felt guilty about how much I got for the stuff.[/quote]

Current auctions for the Z-680’s are at $200 and climbing.

It looks like $500 is about right for the panel; new ones are going for a little more, but not a lot more.

$500 is probably realistic for the system, if you sell it whole. Note that if you pull out the two 100+ GB drives and just sell it with the 40GB drive, you’ll probably still get $400, and then can clear another $200+ for the hard drives individually.

Like cars, used computers are worth more in pieces than whole. You might get $1500 if you chop shop it and flog it on ebay.

Don’t underestimate the ability of eBay people to pay just under discounted retail for used equipment. I’ve had a couple of auctions where I almost felt guilty about how much I got for the stuff.[/quote]

Current auctions for the Z-680’s are at $200 and climbing.

It looks like $500 is about right for the panel; new ones are going for a little more, but not a lot more.

$500 is probably realistic for the system, if you sell it whole. Note that if you pull out the two 100+ GB drives and just sell it with the 40GB drive, you’ll probably still get $400, and then can clear another $200+ for the hard drives individually.[/quote]

I might just do that. If I don’t sell the system in my local paper I’ll pull out the parts seperately and sell them. Everything in my system is quality, so I will probably make out much better then if I sold the system as a whole.

thxs all.

The uber-l33t windowed cases and whatnot aren’t typically that appealing to Joe Usedbuyer. M’self, I have a hard time justifying $300 for a case when I can get something like this for $20 at the local parts shop (or for $40 with a 350W power supply).

And, unless you’re selling to a PC performance geek, most people won’t really care that you’ve got the Corsair ram vs. generic, or the 7200RPM Ultra ATA133 8MB cache WD speedster hard drives instead of the cheapies.

To maximize the $$$ you get back, take the mobo, CPU, RAM, CDRW, vid card, and 40GB HD, yank 'em all out of the leet windowed case, drop 'em into a $35 case/PS, load up Windows, and sell that rig for $300-400, and I’d eBay the case/PS, HD’s, Audigy, LCD, and speakers each separately.

Me, I’m lazy, so I’d just sell off the PC as-is, and do the LCD and speakers separately (like pretty much everyone else is saying).

Yep, that’s the problem. Nobody who cares about the cool 1337 case is going to want a 1.67GHz Athlon chip or 333MHz FSB motherboard.

That’s why I’ll probably sell the parts at the Anandtech forums. The forum users there are very tec savvy, and would appreciate a $300 case. I should know… I sold a Lian Li case to someone for $120 pretty quickly at that site.

What can a good case do that makes it worth $300? Is it cooled by liquid nitrogen or something? Is there a built-in toaster to make my pop-tarts? That seems like an outrageous amount to spend for a case.

You’ll look mighty fashionable at the next LAN meet, Mr. Asher.

Cases are all the rage right now. Plexiglass see-thru with neon lights is a must have. The big advantage is that you don’t need waste any money on computer games. You can just turn on your system and look at the computer case. If that gets boring then you can vacuum out the case and clean the plexiglass all that you want.

Heh. I used to care a lot more about hardware, but that was back in the day when I had to edit my config.sys file to squeeze out a bit more memory to get Wing Commander to run. More and more to me a computer’s just another piece of consumer electronics. I don’t want to open up my computer and upgrade it.

I’m looking forward to the day when we just buy a new $500 PC every few years to replace the old one, if we ever see that. We almost have that now with eMachines, except that they’re not good gaming rigs.

The case thing is definitely getting out of control. My older brother recent got into the whole “case mods” scene, and is dremelling his way through every computer I’ve discarded over the last four years (it’s pretty funny to see some of his stuff – for example, he’s got the most amazing looking P2-300 I’ve ever seen…)

However, I have to admit that this case is almost (almost) enough to put me over the edge:

(see here for more images)

If I was flush with cash, you know I’d be parading my 'quarium case around… (at least until my fiance stabbed me to death and claimed self defense).

asjunk

I don’t want people to notice the computer case. In that regard, I’m close to buying a Super Flower case with a nice redwood burl pattern on it. I’ve also considered giving up one of the file drawers in my desk and building the computer into that. Go away beige box!