I'm in hell

'“Point-to-Point over Ethernet.”

Wow, learn something new every day. Now does this mean you actually had to “dial in” to get connected, not an “always on” connection?’

PPPoE is technically a framing type for getting the packets out, but it also includes a password-based authentication mechanism.

The easy way to make this Not A Problem is to shell out for a static ip, buy a router, and set up the router to always log you in.

I think DSL varies wildly depending on your provider. A SBC/Ameritech tech asked me what the big deal was about having to go down to the basement to reboot the DSL router for 4 minutes every couple of days. He really couldn’t see what the problem was and laughed off my concern.

Better yet. We need to setup an ftp server, which according to my contract is allowed (it is a business dsl line with multiple static ips). There is one giant catch. To operate the ftp I need something set on the router to allow the port to go through since they installed address translation against my wishes, my written request and my verbal request (and was told by the installer it was not installed). So no big deal I figure, login to the router make the changes and it will work. Nope. SBC has the password and they will not give it to me. Okay, then I request they make the changes. No. They do not support the router past installation.

I am now stuck with trying and find out for the manufacturer if there is a password reset on the hardware iteself. But I must be careful, as this will void sbc’s support of the router…

I would ask them if they knew what catch-22 meant, but since I think they hire all of their tech support off of the welfare lines, I think that would be a waste. One cool thing though, when requesting the password or their changing the setup, a supervisor told me she was the top person in charge and had no supervisor. So I guess I got to talk to the SBC president. Who would have thought she would be down in the tech support trenches?

Chet

This is all well and good, but what’s really important here is that I got my cable modem access back.

Talk about an addict going through withdrawls.

SBC/Ameritech is pretty much the worst. At my old apartment here in chicago, they told Covad my order was impossible, then set up their own service and shipped me the hardware w/o me asking. I didn’t realize it wasn’t the covad related equipment until I’d set it up and made a few calls to the ISP I was supposed to have. Being a complete lazy ass, I never managed to get them in trouble for it. Didn’t want to lose DSL when I finally got it. And yep, the DSL router would die every day or so. And when it did work, the data rates weren’t all that good.

At my new apartment, I just got a cable modem. I’m way happier.

Lantz