I'm just so tired of all these Guild Wars: The GW2 "Can't Login" Thread

I’m getting this message too. I receive no email and can’t get into the game.

I was able to play earlier this morning. Maybe their servers are just overloaded?

Because 1 in 10.000 is having problems?

Oh, ArenaNet. You’re such a tease!

(12:50 PM PST - 1 Sep 12) @GuildWars2: The email authentication system should be working now. Please try again now to authenticate. Sorry about the inconvenience ^SL

223 redditors and counting see tweet, try to login/authenticate, express disappointment.

Then:

(1:20 PM PST - 1 Sep 12) @GuildWars2: We’re still looking into the email authentication system and will keep you updated of our progress ^SL

(4:30 PM PST - 1 Sep 12) @GuildWars2: We are sending out A LOT of mails atm, so it might be a bit before you get yours. ^MK

(4:28 PM PST - 1 Sep 12) @GuildWars2: Email authentication is up and running again. We do apologize for the inconvenience. ^MK

(4:50 PM PST - 1 Sep 12) @GuildWars2: We’ve updated the State of the Game article on the GW2 Wiki, with information about the issues we’re working on: Game status updates - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W) ~SL

Edit: Few minutes later, the wiki did come back. Game status updates - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

Only relevant info for me is the SOS they said a couple of days ago:

Reset Password: We’re leaving the “reset password” feature disabled for now. If you forgot your password, please contact the customer support team.

Hilariously, as it turns out resetting a password is possible by going to https://register.guildwars2.com. Of course I was already registered, but it worked and I upgraded my problem from “bad password” to “not authorized to participate in an event”.

I took me a minute to figure out that the account management system had probably failed to retain the serial number I attached to the account when the game box arrived at my house a few days ago. Registering the serial number a second time (instructions) finally unlocked the account (also resulting in a new Display Name but retaining the character I’d rolled and retaining my guild membership).

Huzzah!

So if I buy the game now, digital download, should I expect problems?

Edit: Well. There’s one problem. You can’t buy a basic GW2 digitally right now. Not from the official site or from Amazon. You can get the $79.99 Digital Deluxe version. But the $59.99 version is sold out on any place that I went to.

Sorry! Guild Wars 2 is currently soldout.

To ensure the highest quality service we have temporarily limited the number of copies of Guild Wars 2.

As more capacity becomes available, we will make Guild Wars 2 available for sale again.

In the meantime, we encourage you to visit our retail partners , who may still have copies available.

This was fixed for me midday yesterday and fine since then. The Twitter feed actually was fairly informative about the status.

Well, that’s good to know before I go out (into the vast depths of the internet) and waste my time looking. I wonder why they’re avoiding digital sales.

Seems like a good thing I’ve been too busy to login since the early access last week. Guess I’ll finally see how bad the new WoW patch screwed my characters or play swtor.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the login issues, Ranulf, if that’s what’s dissuading you from playing. They haven’t re-enabled the password reset function yet, but there are ways around that and things have improved. Anyone who isn’t getting in is probably either not informed about what works (e.g. in my case, the preorder s/n debacle requiring me to re-register the game), or their account was hacked.

I’m no longer having problems getting into the game, but this morning I finally received a response from GW2 Customer Support. More hilarity: they directed me to the password reset tool that they disabled last week. And of course, it’s still disabled. If I hadn’t found the solution through reddit over the weekend, I’d probably be returning the game by this time.

From Guild Wars 2 status - Wednesday, September 5 (via):

Password resets - Tomorrow we will provide a secure method for customers who have lost their passwords or whose passwords aren’t working to reset their passwords. We ask that you use this new self-help system, and only submit a support ticket if that doesn’t work for you.