I'm late to the Nintendo Switch party - what did I miss?

So I’m getting a Switch (“for my child”). I haven’t had a console since I was an elementary school kid playing the original NES in the 1980s/90s, but they basically haven’t changed much, right? What’s new and different? What should I be looking out for? Please give me advice on how-to-console, and what I’ll need to start enjoying this device (“with my child”).

Check out the Switch thread. Not sure about accessories but there’s lots of talk about various games there.

There’s like a billion Switch threads. Where do I start?

Obviously the one that talks about Nintendo revealing the Switch years ago. That’s how threads are done on QT3.

Sorry, I thought there was just one. It keeps getting bumped. I guess people are into the Switch or something.

I don’t think there is too much you need to start enjoying it. If you’re worried about it getting roughed up(“by your child”) then a screen protector might be worth getting before long. Otherwise, it largely depends on how you think you’ll use it. If you’re primarily going to use it on the TV, probably worth looking at a Pro controller. If you’ll be using it in handheld mode probably want to think about your charging situation. My phone is already USB-C so I have batteries, cables, and chargers that work well with it. However, not all do. The rapid charger that came with my OnePlus phone does not work with my Switch at all. Any other accessories are pretty much entirely optional and probably are things you can worry about later.

Outside of that, consider if you want to pick up any physical copies of any games when you get the Switch. I personally prefer to go with a cartridge for the bigger games(Xenoblade Chronicles 2, for example) and save space on the Switch for smaller titles(which are often digital only anyway) or games I think I’m more likely to want to play on a whim.

The library of games is full of great indie titles and plenty of great first party Nintendo games and which of those I’d recommend to start really depends on your preferences.

Breath of the Wild
Steamworld Dig 2
Dead Cells
Splatoon 2
Mario Odyssey
Golf Story
Mario + Rabbids

Basically everything listed here:

Hi @fire! Good to see you :)

I can’t help on switch front but I hope your little one, wink wink, enjoys the Switch ;)

We got a Switch last year, and the kids (…) love it! Mario Cart and Mario Tennis are favourite, but they also like Mario + Rabbids and the youngest has tried a bit of Zelda (I tried a bit more, it’s great, but I just don’t have the time to dive in as much as I would like).

Some stuff to consider:

• the one annoying bit (IMO) of the Switch is having to switch (no pun intended) cartridges. I would strongly advise getting most games via the webshop instead of on a cartridge. You can buy a micro-sd to increase storage.
  • You might want to consider getting a second set of controllers. The most fun we have had with this console is playing with 4 people together.
  • if you plan on taking the handheld version along while on trips, a good bag or case is important
  • a simple screen protector is enough (at least with my kids it is…)

Enjoy!

Nintendo found a way for people to pay for cardboard. I don’t see it mentioned often, but that’s pretty impressive. :)

I have no room to put it near my TV. Is it really great enough to be a 100% hand-held for every game? Is there a side-scrolling Mario yet? :)

It’s still out of my price range so none of this matters. :(

I only use the Switch as a handheld. I never bothered taking the dock out of the box. It works just fine in handheld 100% of the time. It’s big though (for a portable) and the battery life sucks (so good only for short trips). I play it mostly in bed connected to mains power.

Side-scrolling Mario arrives early 2019.

Hey @fire, how did the Switch go for your son? We’re thinking of getting one for our soon-to-be 7yo girl but I’ve been out of the Nintendo game for years now.