I'm opening a gaming store!

So Denver and it’s surrounding areas are a weird town when it comes to the game store ratio. I am a road warrior for my company so I get a glimpse of a lot of different cities and there game stores. Denver by far has more in one metro area than most other cities.

So in the immediate area there are 2 Card Stores(one is also a comic shop, but has a huge MtG customer base. The other focuses on MtG, but also sells Boardgames), both within 1/2 a mile, One about 1.5 miles away runs a lot of MtG, but also has been growing RPG and Board Gaming. The last is about 1.5 to 2 miles away it is a similar Game Store, to what he is opening. Card, Board, RPG, and Minis, with a full service coffee bar/cafe (all locally sourced food).

A Hobby Town USA is about 4ish miles away with a huge Mini Focus. So he does have a lot of competition near by.

I’ll respond to everyone’s comments and questions when I have a bit more time. Crazy amount of stuff going on!

The trick with this is shipping. I can’t afford to beat Amazon’s pricing AND have free shipping. But if any of you guys are willing to pay shipping I’d be happy to send stuff.

My choice of location was determined by availability, accessibility, proximity to a customer base, and demographics. I honestly didn’t consider competition until fairly late in the process. I have checked them all out and feel like I can be extremely successful in the area. As you mentioned a couple are almost primarily Magic where we are a more general store. I still intend to have organized Magic (and other card game) play, but I’m never going to dedicate half of my store to magic singles. I also believe I will have the best board game prices and availability in town. I don’t wish existing stores any ill will and believe each can have their niche specialty. I’m also hoping our private themed gaming rooms will make the store attractive for RPG groups.

Happily! Rock on and good luck! Let us know!

Floor and slatwall are done. Shelf stocking starts tomorrow!

Runequest–Chaosium - Big Rubble! That should be your first.

Sigh I just saw that Greg Stafford died today. Ironically. I loved my old Runequest campaign. Anyone else here recall the Big Rubble and that great trip down the river? Orlanthi forever! God I do believe I may be getting old.

Oh wow, dude. You work fast!
That’s coming along very nicely!

Ooh, that looks way to nice to stick in a gaming store. Shouldn’t it be darker and mustier, with maybe a concrete floor and unpainted walls?

Looking forward to more pics as it fills up!

-Tom

Looking great, Vesper! Can’t wait for Saturday! Stocking shelves kind of sounds like fun.

That does look cool. I hope we get to see more soon.

Opening a gaming store with only two Kalax is brave .

Good luck with the store!

2 ideas that might be worth considering if you have followers on Facebook and / or people opting to join a mailing list.

One of the brick and mortar stores in London I sometimes buy from send their subscribers a weekly Friday email with a short summary of the big releases for the coming week (or, sometimes, hot pre-orders) .

The email focuses on about a dozen products a week, with the full release list for the week available as a link, making it easy for customers to check it on the store’s site. For example:

https://leisuregames.com/collections/new-releases-week-commencing-15-october

The second part of the email will sometimes highlight an upcoming event at the store. One they hold every month is a “family fun day” where they encourage gamers and non gamers to come and try out games. They tend to focus on a different publisher every month and have prime on hand to demo and play the games.

Example 1 from a previous email:

FAMILY FUN DAY 9th September 2018 (TOMORROW!)

Our next “Family Funday” will be held on Sunday 9th September.

On Family Fundays we demonstrate and get people joining in games which we have selected as highly recommended for all the family.

Parents - bring along the kids! Kids - bring along the parents and your friends! Come and join in the fun!

This month:

KOSMOS GAMES

This week our “Second Sunday Family Funday” will be a Kosmos Games themed day. Amongst others we will be showing Mercado, Lost Cities (+ Rivals), Drop it.

In-Store on Sunday 14th October

I guess they are established enough that the publishers might even provide some of the demo copies. But it seems like a neat way to establish a friendly atmosphere at the shop, generate sales and keep people coming back.

There are more fixtures not assembled yet.

Nice. I usually only head into Denver for work or concerts, but will try to stop in.

Looking good looking forward to Saturday.

@Vesper is Saturday still the opening date? Is that feasible? Don’t mean to be a party-pooper, but with bare walls today, that seems ambitious.

It will be done!

You don’t need the subtitles, you know the line