I'm tired of the war talk: 2003 Feminist Super Bowl AdWatch

Not that the blathering women conversation isn’t entertaining, but the entry that really baffled me in NOW’s list was

#66: Anheuser-Busch — Guy in clown suit drinks beer

“Gay bashing … no need to make a homosexual joke in order to sell a product.”

Okay, I haven’t gone back and watched the ad again, so maybe I missed something the first time. But where’s the gay bashing in a guy drinking a beer through his ass?

I was wondering the same thing at first but I think they’re referring to the point in the ad where he asks for a hotdog.

Tyjenks and Jack, I envy you two. Every good woman is either taken or a bear.
Anders: Main difference between men and women: men say what they mean. It’s VERY rare to find a woman who doesn’t play those games:
‘Sweety can I do this?’
‘Yes’
(depending on the situationg ‘yes’ can mean ‘yes’, ‘no’, ‘yes but you have to ask me’, ‘no, unless you ask me’, ‘maybe later’ or any number of other possible answers.
‘Okay’ (guy walks off completely oblivious to the fact that the female will pout for the rest of the week and refuse to tell why, and reserve the right to bring up violation at any future point to win an argument.)
guy finally notices woman pouting
‘Sweety you ok?’
‘I’m fine’
‘You sure?’
‘Yes.’
‘Oh, ok.’ guy resumes doing whatever
‘You don’t care about me!!’
And so on.
Are you female? Cause I can only picture a female not seeing the huge difference.

#6: Yahoo’s HotJobs.com ? Workers sing about rainbows

“Excellent diversity!!!”

Holy crap FOUR exclamations! Now I wished I’d have seen these commercials!
Note to self: Singing about rainbows=quality

Nah, I’m a guy. [size=1]Though there are those pictures…[/size]
And before you ask, I have four quite close female friends. And I can’t deny that there is a difference in male and female behaviour, but I find those to be effects of a social construction, and often really really stupid.

I think that’s kind of a stretch, but I guess NOW members are mostly liberal arts types, and all into that symbolism stuff.

Sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog.

You’re right, but in the context of the commercial it wasn’t. The peoples reaction when he asked for the hot dog was pretty clearly meant to mean something other than a tasty snack. Kind of like the horses playing football commercial had the cowboy calling the ref a jackass, and the guy said “Actually, he’s a Zebra.”

I saw an interview with the producer of Sex & The City not long ago and he said that network TV is all about how close you can get to being lewd, that’s where all the comedy is.

Anyway, I’m sure that what I describe above is pretty close to the position NOW has on the ad. I still think it was great though.

The funny thing is, I don’t think there’s any way they could have changed the ad that would have made NOW happy. I think that if everyone else in the bar had clapped and cheered as the clown devoured his hot dog, NOW would have been pissed. I think that if it had been a female clown cramming hot dog after hot dog into a vagina-like maw, NOW would have been pissed. I think NOW just hates the hot dog.

Slightly OT: The Nature vs. Nurture debate certainly isn’t put to bed, but the study I mentioned in my previous post did prove that a significant amount of male vs. female differences are genetic. It’s very possible the social differences you see are a direct result of our fundamental behavioral differences.

You may now return to the topic of sexist ads in the Superbowl…

I don’t doubt there are differences, I mean, I don’t see me having a womb anytime soon. However, I question the relevance of such biological arguments in direct relation to the behaviour of people. I believe it is the response to the hormonal reaction which is taught by behaviour that is more influential to behaviour. And we get different hormonal reactions to situations based on what happened to us while we grew up (things like phobias and so on which causes huge reactions usually doesn’t come out of nothing).

I usually think that “biological feminists” are full of crap.

The funny thing is, I don’t think there’s any way they could have changed the ad that would have made NOW happy. I think that if everyone else in the bar had clapped and cheered as the clown devoured his hot dog, NOW would have been pissed. I think that if it had been a female clown cramming hot dog after hot dog into a vagina-like maw, NOW would have been pissed. I think NOW just hates the hot dog.[/quote]

I don’t know; I think they lost NOW when they made an ad about a guy anally drinking beer.

Obviously I wasn’t the only one to find this rich untapped comedy resource, Seanbaby chimes in: